Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

1. chbaum

chbaum Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Floris

Floris Pen Pal - Newbie

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/dvp8wireing4vz0jmkbit.jpg
    this is a nice and comprehensible picture.
    I received my cables and it works with low powered usb devices but when I plug a 2.5" harddrive the V8P stops charging probably because it is not receiving enough power.
    I'm going to try to connect a powered usb hub an plug the harddrive to that.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. noellenchris

noellenchris Pen Pal - Newbie

If my Samsung dock experiment doesn't pan out, I'll probably pick up the Plugable Need to Knows about the Dell Venue 8 Pro with Plugable Products | Plugable dock and try that with the Data/Charge cable. Plugable does say they are working on a fix so that the dock can charge the DVP8 also, but the Data/Charge cable should work perfect. I like the challenge of getting the Samsung Universal dock to work, so I will waste some time on that first...:p

Chris

edit: this is a good video of the capabilities of the plugable dock with games and video on 2nd display. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4pbsUP7_kY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

@noellenchris: But dont forget, it just has USB 2.0 speed.. So if you are running an external display and on the same dock, you want to copy files of an external USB drive, one of this thing will not work smooth anymore..

@Floris: It is another setup.. You use an OTG cable and i use an Y-cable. Also the cable with the switch is another one ;-)

5. strollin

strollin Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone know a source for the cable with the switch other than DX? I ordered one from DX before Christmas and DX says they shipped it Dec 23 but as of Jan 15 it has not arrived. I have not been able to find another source for the cable.

6. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Floris

Floris Pen Pal - Newbie

8. noellenchris

noellenchris Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you connect an actual harddrive? Or flash drive. If it was a hard drive, it may not get enough power from the DVP8 to power it especially if it's a full size hard drive. You may need a self powered dock to connect it to.

Chris

9. hansalbers

hansalbers Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to know if the solution also works for the V8P with 64GB. I have the version with 32GB and charging + usb does work perfect with it. For me also with a external hard drive.
    Does anybody try it with the 64GB one?

10. Floris

Floris Pen Pal - Newbie

@chris yeah it was a 2.5" harddrive (check my post #342)
    I was hoping I could avoid the powered usb hub