Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guzzimike66

guzzimike66 Pen Pal - Newbie

2. guzzimike66

3. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

So I got the DX data/charging cable and I got it to work with a HDD Y cable (micro USB and two male USB As) but I am ideally looking for a Y cable that allows the following connection:

Tablet
    |
    connected via micro USB
    |
    DX data/charging cable
    |
    male USB A of DX cable into Female USB A of Y cable ------- male USB A into charger
    |
    Female USB A of Y cable to allow any normal USB device to be plugged in
    |
    USB devices

I thought I could do it via (1) a USB female to female adapter and (2) the following cable from Amazon, but that did not work:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041CFFBM

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  4. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

@Variable: Just go 1 page back.. My post at the end of the site.

@guzzimike66: That newertech cable looks very promising. Because the cable with the switch from DX is very very poor (at least the switch is horrible).

5. dwx

dwx Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

I used the exact cable that you linked on Amazon (have two of them sitting on my desk) and they do NOT work.
    Mine is totally black though (like in the Amazon pics), while yours has that red connector.

7. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

I mixed some pictures in my guide, because i also had a non working setup!! You have to plug in the right cables to the right connectors, otherwhise it WILL NOT WORK!

I will make better pictures in ~4 hours and a NEW guide for it. Sorry for the missleading picture.. If you look carefully, you will see that on picture 3 the cables are differently connected as in picture 2!! ( http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59328-venue-8-usb-power-same-time-32.html#post368065 )

In picture 3, I connected it WRONG and the tablet would just LOAD but not support any other USB devices!!

8. guzzimike66

I ordered the Newertech as well. I don't have a micro usb female to usb female adapter on hand so I also ordered a micro usb female to mini usb male adapter (Amazon.com: StarTech.com Micro USB to Mini USB 2.0 Adapter F/M (UUSBMUSBFM): Electronics) and then a mini usb female to usb female (Amazon.com : USB A Female to Mini B Female Adapter : Computer Usb Cables : Computers & Accessories) to so I can then connect to one of my usb hubs with a regular usb cable. Kind of kludgy looking but "should" work without issue.

Mike

9. Variable

Variable Tablet-fan

I tried any and every combination with the Amazon cable and it does NOT work. (Since I have two, I can also pretty safely rule out that the cable is broken).
    The cable in your pic is also different than the Amazon cable you linked; yours has a red USB plug while the Amazon cable is all black (like in the pic on the Amazon page)

This should work but doesn't:

Tablet - DX switch cable - USB F/F - Amazon Y cable - power to the thin male USB of the Y and USB device to the female USB port of the Y

I do have a Y cable to connect a HDD via mini USB but then I would need yet another adapter to convert mini USB to Female USB A, not exactly ideal.

10. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have also a complete black Y cable that works...

Will upload better pictures, with both cables, after dinner :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.