Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hansalbers

hansalbers Pen Pal - Newbie

You couldn't move the switch of the cable because something was wrong with the cover? Couldn't you move the switch or wasn't the switch correct connected?

2. L.V.Gandhi

L.V.Gandhi Scribbler - Standard Member

Switch was OK. Hole in the cover for movement of switch was restricting the switch from coming to charge..

3. VenueMark

VenueMark Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

I have updated this to help all those who still seem to have questions (hansalbers- thanks for the start :thumbsup: ) Hopefully this draws a better mental picture where each end goes :) .

zoltansz, frason, masaon and 2 others like this.
  4. dwx

dwx Scribbler - Standard Member

I would suggest reading through the whole thread, as similar topics have already been covered. You don't need a 100k resistor in this case.

5. blyccy

blyccy Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

Received my hub today.
    Works fine with 2 USB thumb drive / card reader now.
    May test more later.

6. winkyeye

winkyeye Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to connect the switch (B) directly to a USB hub or is C absolutely necessary?

7. spedinfargo

spedinfargo Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a great picture. Once stupid question though as someone who has been following the thread off and on for the last month: with these parts there is no soldering/modding needed anymore? I just get all of these things, hook them up like the picture and problem solved?

8. VenueMark

VenueMark Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it possible to connect the switch (B) directly to a USB hub or is C absolutely necessary?
    C is there so you can provide power. IF you are not needing to power your Venue then just use a OTG (On-The-Go) cable.

And yes, this is all that is needed, No soldering, no modifying, just need patience for the DealExtreme items to arrive. :hi2:

9. mambastik

mambastik Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! Awesome diagram. Now I can't wait till sometimes takes all those apart and create a single docking station. I'd love to do it but I just don't have the tools for it right now.

10. thE_29

thE_29 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you use an USB extension cable with your original Dell power adapter, you can also use this setup:

IMG_20140103_143301.jpg

red circle: extension cable and dell power cable connected ( extension cable = 1, dell power cable = 2)
    Amazon.com: AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cable (3.3 Feet/1.0 Meter): Electronics

blue mark: a cable from DX with a the switch for data/power-only (=3)
    USB Data/Charging Extension Cable for Samsung P1000 - Black - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

orange/brown mark: is an USB Y-cable ( i had it for my 2.5" HDD disc, which doesnt had enough power - and yes, it has overall normal USB plugs. No mini or Typ-B). (=4)
    Amazon.com: OEM UTStarcom USB Y Adapter Cable for HTC HD2 - YC150B: Computers & Accessories

yellow mark: USB gender changer female-female (=5)
    Amazon.com: SANOXY® USB Gender Changer, A Female To Female: Computers & Accessories

white mark: my USB stick for testing the setup. (=6)

A picture where you can see that the tablet battery is loading and the USB stick is shown in explorer (so it is connected):
    IMG_20140103_145205.jpg

Setup in detail:
    With the extension cable (=1), you go into the adapter/cable with the switch (=3). On the other side you connect 1 of the 2 male-connector from the Y-adapter (=4) to the female-connector of the switch-cable(=3).
    Attention: If you use the wrong cable you will never see any other USB devices (and I forgot if it was charging or not, but you dont have any device..).
    So at the Y-adapter (=4) you plug in the gender changer (=5). And at the other side of the gender changer(=5) you can plug in what ever you want (in my case, my USB stick=6).

So you should have left the female-plug from the Y-adapter(=4) and there you plug in the original Dell power cable(=2) and connect it to the Veneu 8 Pro.

As english is not my native language, i hope this is understandable :D I have added numbers to the cable/adapters, so that you can understand it easier (well, at least i hope so).

And yes, the cable with the switch for charging/data, is very very poor.. At least the switch. I have also the other version with the micro USB port on one side, but i always use that setup..

Better pictures/guide: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/dell/59328-venue-8-usb-power-same-time-34.html#post368418

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.