Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

1. petergunn

petergunn Pen Pal - Newbie

What wattage of 1.5K ohm resistors are you guys using? I'm thinking I might try the hub mod.

Thanks

-PG

2. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

I used a 1/4 watt 1.5K ohm resistor.

3. peter8

peter8 Pen Pal - Newbie

The power of a 1500 ohm resistor at < 5V is < 0.016W. So you can use a very small resistor.
    At the data pins the mean voltage is below 5V.

P = U*I with I = U/R P = 5*5/1500 W.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. petergunn

So it looks like $2.79 for the hub + $1.19 for the resistors on ebay. For under $4 the hub mod definitely worth a try. I'll probably buy 2 or 3 in case I mess it up :)

-PG

5. tablet25

tablet25 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey all, thanks for all the work and info you have put into this!

I'm looking for the simplest, most user friendly solution to this problem. I respect all the soldering and tinkering, but don't have those tools myself.

I see the micro-USB to male USB with charging/data switch cord (USB Male to Micro USB Male Charging Data Cable w/ Switch for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - Black (100 CM) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme) will likely accomplish what the person in the video did with his jerry-rigged system.

But how to charge and use then? If I simply buy a plain old USB hub (like this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...e=UTF8&qid=1385404229&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+hub)

1.) Can the male end of the charger/data cord with the switch coming from the tablet be plugged directly into the recipient USB sockets of the hub, or must I also get a male-female USB converter and then plug the male wire of the hub into the converter connecting to the switch coming from tablet?

2.) How can I achieve charging from the hub? If #1 works, then perhaps the male end of the hub could be plugged into the USB-AC converter that came with tablet?

Is there a more simple solution?

Also, has anyone looked into wireless usb hubs? Would this introduce latency into using keyboard/mouse/monitor peripherals for gaming?

Thanks!

6. speedy1224

speedy1224 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi

I just bought all the parts for this mod, but I don't understand what you mean by step 3. Cut the electrical traces to the last usb port. Can you please further elaborate or show me a diagram.

thank you so much in advance

7. petergunn

I think you'll need an OTG cable between the charge/data cord and the hub, and that will probably require adapters since OTG cables do not usually come with maleA<->maleA plugs.

I think we'll see some simpler solutions emerge next month as more people receive their tablets. In the meantime the hub-mod is looking like the cheapest and most convenient route if you have a soldering iron.

-PG

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Uh Dell - are you monitoring this forum...a little help here please...

9. bazanime

bazanime Scribbler - Standard Member

Would be awesome if there was an official cable that solved this problem. Heck I'd pay a little premium for it if I had to, but would not want to really.

I posted a link to this thread on their twitter account, but I'm sure its just a PR company that runs it.

10. smuook

smuook Pen Pal - Newbie

He's saying to cut the existing wires, because in the next step he routes bypass wires