Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Robotica72, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I know this was discussed some in the Official Owners thread, but I thought it may be easier to ask outside that thread.

I have tried a few cables, all that work with my Xoom / SG3 / etc ... Of course, on the Venue 8 Pro the USB portion of the Y cable works, but the power doesn't (With or without a USB device attached).

I have tried most of the settings in the BIOS under the Southbridge settings, but nothing has helped. I remember when OTG Y cables came out on Android, you needed some tweaks to make the power / USB to work at the same time...

Anyone tried a cable that works? Although, I think its less cable related and BIOS / OS maybe?

Thanks!

nanotube80 likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Search the main thread, but someone has worked a hack that requires shorting the data (maybe the power) pins to the USB port once power is connected to then add a USB device - involves a two port and cable hack into the mini USB port.

3. SpacePsych

SpacePsych Pen Pal - Newbie

I really need to get this working reliably or else I have to send the tablet back.

I have purchased two different OTG cables with power from amazon:
    1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YPYORM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXAC1ZW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Both cables do not seem to work, it can accept a normal USB flash drive and read data, but does not charge from the Dell charger from the power side. The charger does working normally however. I have tried the splitter without plugging in the flash drive and it still doesn't work, so something in the splitter is preventing the tablet from charging or the tablet has a setting.

Let's explore more and figure this out, obviously it's been done before on other tablets and android tablets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. dstrauss

Guys - go search the main forum - there's a guy who posted somewhere on there how to jerry-rig a two port USB connector for a computer mainboard to charge and run USB devices - real Rube Goldberg and I doubt it will ever be marketed, but it has already been cracked...

5. SpacePsych

Not sure I want to use a "jerry-rigged" device. Anyone know how that was done. Maybe there is a cable that takes advantage of what he has done already. I need a solution that won't present a "fire risk" or anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Fire safety is overrated.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. SpacePsych

Ha, problem is it won't be approved. This is for University use.

I need a solution to be able to charge the tablet and connect to an external webcam and Ethernet adapter at the same time. I might have to just wait for the Venue 11 Pro or find an alternate with an additional USB port, but I would love this one to work for affordability.

8. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

I've seen folks mod phones with copper wires to work with wireless chargers. Any idea how its done (safely)

9. dstrauss

Guys - there is nothing short of a Dell approved part that will do what you want, and they can't even get out of their own way with accessory problems. At best it is Rube Goldberg solution because of the need to short the pins, power off, plug in your usb device, then re-power the power pins...this ain't going to happen...

10. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have no issues hacking something together - But in the thread all I found was a video on that, but nothing at all about any help to put one together... Nothing at all?