Venue 8 Pro won't update without failing

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Tbarrows112, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Tbarrows112

Tbarrows112 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got a Dell Venue 8 Pro (today) and although the item is new and operates perfectly well, I'm having an issue...

I can use the device perfectly well without problems, however as soon as I go to press update windows (as the device has never been used it needs updating) it says "50 updates found" then proceeds to install them...

After about 20 minutes of downloading them it says something along the lines of "download failed, system will restart" then I enter a windows boot loop that says "we couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes" and loops on this for what seems an infinite amount of time.

I then have to force it to shut down, and force it to reinstall a fresh version of Windows,

So my question is, what's going wrong? Should I return it and get another?

Regards,

2. daddydynamite

daddydynamite Pen Pal - Newbie

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With a new, powerful laptop, I had a similar issue in installing the many initial Windows updates. In the end, my hunch is that it had to do with my network router and, more likely, the basic DSL Internet service that I had--I think there were just too many updates with too much data for the process to go smoothly for the system. For a subsequent, similar situation, I did the updating at my local library, where there was a powerful T1 Internet connection--no issues whatsoever, then. You might consider this possibility (or doing the initial updates at a similar free WiFi access point with a fast connection).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  4. Tbarrows112

Thanks for you both getting in touch. I took your advice and managed to solve the issue.

For anyone else having this issue:
    Instead, I choose to install them in small groups while sat next to my router, starting with the oldest first...so for example insted of doing all 50 at once, I would untick them all, and do only the first 6 or so with the oldest date (i usually did all the january ones, then all the feburary, etc)

This solved the issue.

Thanks again,

5. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the update and info.--a good solution (which hadn't occurred to me earlier). :) I'm still not sure why having all the updates totally automated for install should cause an issue, as versus doing the updates in batches--you would think that the electronics just could "pause to take a breath" when needed . . . .

6. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe they use to much space in the temp directory, which gets cleaned up after the reboots!

7. jhsiao36

jhsiao36 Pen Pal - Newbie

I found that if you update using the Modern UI version of Windows Update, you don't get any of the errors.

8. Tbarrows112

Sadly I did try this and failed to have any success. As I said, the only thing that worked for me is doing them in orderly small batches! Haven't had any issues since... touch wood!

9. dicobalt

dicobalt Pen Pal - Newbie

Whenever there are update installation problems I would recommend opening up an admin command window and run the following.

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

if it is corrupted then run

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Note that it can take a long time to run these on the V8P, maybe a few hours. Once you know it's working well you can also use dism to clean up the winsxs folder of old update files, I got about 3GB space back on my V8P.