Venue 8 Pro - Windows 8.1 for better performance?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by tinpanalley, Apr 4, 2019.

1. tinpanalley

tinpanalley Pen Pal - Newbie

We still use our Venue 8 Pro around the house. It's our reader for several different things. I updated it to Windows 10 about a year ago but I'm coming across several sites/videos online that argue that it works better, smoother, faster on Windows 8.1.
    Is there some legitimacy to that, and is it possible for me to go back to 8.1?

Thanks!

2. roel@bouwman.net

roel@bouwman.net Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that is definitely the case. And going back is easy: make yourself a fresh Win 8 install USB stick (32 bits!), plug in and reinstall.

3. HoHoHo

HoHoHo Pen Pal - Newbie

The question is, what type of Venue 8 Pro? 5585? This device works fine with Windows 10 1903 on a Venue 8 Pro 5585 with 4GB RAM.

4. roel@bouwman.net

For the 5830, Win 8.1 is definitely much, much faster than 10. I'm using these as home domotica tablets. They do do nothing more than run a browser which displays a single web page. And even in that use case, Win 8.1 is so much smoother than 10.

5. tinpanalley

Well, there is no 5585 as far as I know unless you meant 5855, and as I said whether it works well or not isn't the point, I'm trying to go back to 8.1 because it doesn't work well enough for me.

In any event, I once tried going back to 8.1 from the 10 Tech Preview and I remember it was a massive problem. Took weeks to figure out because of UEFI limitations, inability to restore to Win8, Windows ISOs that didn't have the Dell tablet drivers etc etc etc. Has anyone here actually done this? And what instructions did you follow?
    Thanks!

6. roel@bouwman.net

I had an original Dell USB flash drive with a Win 8.1 install image sent to me while one of the Venue 8's was still in warranty, a couple of years ago. I just that again a few days ago to reinstall one of the Venue 8's here.

It's a Win 8.1 install image, Dell OEM and 32 bits (the Venue 8 can only boot 32 bits uefi). However, the flash drive does /not/ contain the drivers neccessary for networking on the Venue 8.

You should be able to make a flash drive like that yourself from a 32 bit Win8.1 ISO image. But make sure you download the network drivers from the Dell site and put them on the same, or another flash drive. After the Windows install is finished, just run the driver install and you're done. And then: updates, updates and more updates.

7. tinpanalley

Ok, so it isn't a simple flash and done. I seem to remember this ridiculously long driver install business. But what if those Dell drivers aren't there anymore?