Venue 8 Pro Synaptics screen/stylus firmware update issues

Discussion in 'Dell' started by I_Am_Me, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Not for defects or wrong orders.

2. WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my replacement pen.

Same problem. Ghost clicks while hovering. %$#@!

Bad digitizer on the tablet? Touch works fine...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So is to stray ink constant? I get some of that from time to time at the beginning of an inking session but after the initial flakiness if won't happen again until the next time.

4. WolfKeeper

I dont get stray ink, WHEN the pen works. So far the pen seems to have a mind of its own. A third of the time it works as intended, them it will go dead, then it will hover click like crazy. I passed it over the start bar and watched it open four apps, each multiple times.

5. NJHitmen

NJHitmen Pen Pal - Newbie

The pen is so bizarre. Mine works fine most of the time, so I think in general I'm having a better experience with it than most people. But I do periodically have issues like the ones described above. When I get the hover clicks, or no function at all, I just unscrew it, pull it apart (so the battery loses contact), and screw it back together. 9 times out of 10, that does the trick; it immediately starts working again the way it's supposed to. Kind of like a reset.

Makes no sense.

6. WolfKeeper

That is what I've been doing. When the pen starts behaving erratically, I pull the battery. Usually it fixes it. I know it's not a dead or low battery as I bought a 2-pk of AAAAs just in case last weekend.

7. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Keep exchanging it until you get a one that doesn't hover click. So far my second pen doesn't hover click in the limited time I've spent with it. Or return it and wait until Rev A01 is out. Both my pens have 10/2013 build date and REVA00.

I think curly tails is screen firmware/driver issue, but hover click is pen issue.

8. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

How easy is it to take the pen apart? I wonder if you could hack it to make the buttons nonfunctional (maybe temporarily)... If it's just a faulty switch and you don't care so much about right clicks, it might be worth it, rather than play the exchange game or fighting with it behaving erratically.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

9. HeavyHanded

HeavyHanded Windows Tablet PC Zealot!

How in the world did a device get out the door with such horrible performance and reliability? Their QA department is messed up.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

10. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I am sure it is just business.. That is they want to grab some of the below $300 price point business. Wacom would have driven the price up and cut them out of the mkt everyone complains they are not taking advantage of. <$300. I think for the price pt this is better than i expected (of course i am lucky with a good pen) but inorder to stay in the price and build a quality tablet (this is a quality tablet- especially the screen) they needed to use the synaptics tech. JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.