Venue 8 Pro Synaptics screen/stylus firmware update issues

Discussion in 'Dell' started by I_Am_Me, Nov 18, 2013.

1. gootdude

gootdude gootdude.com

What are the buttons actually supposed to do now with the firmware update?

Here's what I'm noticing overall:

Pen works a lot better now, still not nearly as good as wacom on Surface Pro, but definitely much better than without the firmware update. I can actually read my writing and not worry about the stylus going crazy. Also, I no longer have issues with the stlylus placed in the dell cover causing the stylus to continue registering and interfering with my clicks. It seems the firmware properly ignores the stylus when it is above and behind the screen.

TOUCH is amazing now in programs that were mediocre before, like Chrome. For me, I was having issues in Chrome where I'd tap the screen and my finger would slightly move, and would not register the click. That seems to be gone now, and my taps in Chrome seem to register link clicks on the first tap, even if I move my finger. This alone makes the firmware update perfect for me.

My "hover" functionality works fine, but there is no visual indicator in Windows to show me where the cursor is hovering like on the surface pro with wacom. Not sure if the firmware was supposed to "fix" that.

I no longer have any kind of click while hovering availble. My "bottom" button right clicks, and my "top" button doesn't seem to do anything in one note. Using Windows Journal, it works as an eraser while held, but does not erase when I am hovering, I have to hold the button and then contacting the screen lets it erase. Is my stylus defective or is this the correct behavior now?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine is the same with you. The top button works as eraser in Freshpaint/journal/Sketchbook express, just no Onenote support.

3. Rommie2k6

Rommie2k6 Scribbler - Standard Member

So how's the new firmware update with a working (non-defective) stylus? I know it's no Wacom, but is it at least better than N-trig?

I've used N-trig 3.0(?) on some Fujitsu tablet some time last year, and it required way too much pressure to write, and I was getting some vectoring issues as the screen detected my palm. How would the Venue pro stylus measure to N-trig?

4. wowaz

wowaz Pen Pal - Newbie

Could someone try the new Update?
    I hope they fixed now all the problems. They hide the first Update yesterday and now there is already a new one. They didn't change the Version-Number but the Driver-Id from 1VN89 to X267N.
    The Stylus is the only reason why I didn't already order the Venue 11 Pro...

5. FredOak3

FredOak3 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just installed the one they put out today and when it completed it said I already had the latest. Did a reboot and don't notice any difference. Still getting hover click (becoming convinced it's hardware issue) and writing seems the same as it did after the last update

6. Ice Bluz

Ice Bluz Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got the tablet and stylus. The stylus left major trails across the surface of the tablet in OneNote. I went to Dell and installed the firmware, which actually seems to work! So fingers crossed. It did say "urgent" on the Dell website.

7. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

It seems the best approach to buying a stylus is to order "3" to increase the chances of one working and to return the other 2. There should be no problem with this approach right? Dell accepts all non-abused returns (no fees, no questions etc)

8. WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm experimenting with that idea at the moment. Have another pen arriving today.

9. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought Dell had a restocking fee or am I mistaken?

10. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here. It said I was already up to date.

On a different note, I recieved a replacement pen today. Looks exactly the same with the same manufacture month 10/2013. However, no hover click issues (yet). Before I could write for a minute or two before the hover click issues started. With the new pen i played around for maybe 5 minutes, then my gf for 5 minutes. No hover click. Well, there was one instance of hover "Staying clicked" but it went away when I pressed the buttons in panic and shook the pen. I would say the hover clicking issue is definitely a QC issue with the pen.

Exchange yours for a new one.