1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Venue 8 Pro Synaptics screen/stylus firmware update issues

Discussion in 'Dell' started by I_Am_Me, Nov 18, 2013.

1. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

Dell released an urgent firmware update early this morning. Let's use this thread to document issues, resolved or not, or new.

For me, firmware update reversed the two button functions. Before button nearest tip was "erase" and other button was second click/lasso. Now it's the other way around and second click/lasso is now the button nearest the tip.

Writing seems marginally improved and I still get curled tails. But it doesn't seem as extreme and the pen response to initial contact seems improved.

BUT!

Hovering still doesn't work. Random clicks actually are worse now. Before I just got clicks, now it's to the point of it doing a "click and hold" so my stylus now draws selection boxes when I get near the screen.

Also, hovering still has no cursor on screen as with N-Trig and Wacom.

"Erase" button still doesn't work properly in OneNote. "Erase" does the opposite and actually inks. Not only does it ink, but it inks while hovering without contact on screen.

So far this is very dissappointing and it looks like I will be returning my Venue 8 Pro and won't recommend the Venue 11 Pro to anyone since it uses the same stylus tech. Dell messed up. This should have used N-Trig or Wacom and charged a little more.
  2. tjrhine

tjrhine Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same issues with inking while hovering but I put in a fresh AAAA battery and so far it took care of that problem for me. It might be worth a try.
  3. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member

Just installed this and the button functions are reversed for me as well. The pen performance looks to be unchanged for me but I was already having a decent experience with it. I do get the stroke continuation after the pen is lifted but it's relatively minor, stuff comes out legible if not clean.

Ink strokes in the handwriting panel are a bit thicker now and the recognition is still quite good for me, inking this post as my first test of the recognition after the update. So I don't think this update is probably going to fix up people with the most severe issues and it doesn't appear to have changed anything for me in regards to the quality of the pen strokes unfortunately. Hopefully there are more updates to come.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I posted a sample in the main thread, but for me inking is much improved. The tails are still there at the ends of the strokes, but the beginnings of the strokes are not missed anymore. For me at least this was the bigger issue in the legibility, requiring frequent edits to make things readable. I can go full speed now and don't need to spend near as much time deleting.
  5. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

I can concur with beginning of stroke being better recognized and I can deal with the slight curling tale. It's the phantom hover clicking, double clicking, and click and dragging that's making it unusable for me. Second is that "erase" button doesn't erase in OneNote; it does the opposite and inks.
  6. Mesosphere

What makes you call the second button eraser? To my knowledge (and certainly this is the case on mine) this button causes the pen to click/draw while hovering for everyone. I agree this button would be more useful as an eraser, but I haven't heard anything indicating it worked as an eraser for anyone, or that this was its intended purpose.

As for phantom clicks, I've only had this problem when I accidentally hit the bottom button, and the button swap pretty much fixed that for me. I think those with clicks happening without pressing the button have a faulty pen/battery.
  7. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

I too am starting to believe that the hover/phantom clicks are the fault of the stylus hardware. It occurs regardless of the remaining battery capacity.

One thing that I have been wondering about with my stylus - the base tip does not touch the pen body. There is a gap. Can anyone confirm if this is typical? Thanks.
  8. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

For those with a good stylus, could you list a few instructions on what a 'normal' stylus should act like: eg

- open onenote, draw a square and it should do x. how to reproduce a tail, etc etc
    - open desktop, open file explorer, hover should do x,

at least we know its bad hardware vs elevated expectations
  9. Mesosphere

The gap is normal. It is present on my pen and I think mine is one of the good ones.
  10. gerg

Using the pen test app posted by dprice7 (thanks!), when hovering the tip above the screen, you will see a non-zero pressure reading at the same time that spurious marks are made. My pressure always seems to go to 4.

Another good test is to bring up the keyboard and hover over a key, which will highlight as it is selected.

My phantom clicks seems to start happening around 1/8" above the glass. Using File Manager with this means having to lower and raise the pen directly above the item I want to manipulate. It is hardly usable.
  11. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

The product literature indicates erasing. In Windows Journal the second button switches to eraser for me. To me it makes sense this should be the default configuration. Wacom and N-trig's second buttons both trigger erasing by default. Also, consider what makes sense about having two buttons for inking? (One that inks when you contact the screen and the other that inks when you hover.)
  12. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

So, if I were to add a "minimum pressure" option, it may make for a more usable inking experience for folks having hover glitches (obviously, only within the test app). Sounds like it's time to dust off the project files!
  13. gerg

Yes, that would help - except that if it's only working well in your app, it doesn't really do much more for the rest of the tablet than tease! Also a field where you display the last non-zero pressure value would be useful.

Thanks again.
  14. neosky21

neosky21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does any one have trouble to update firmware?

When I run the update program, I get 'failed' message. I reseted my DV8P, but same result...

please.. help me.

------------------install failure log file--------------------
    11/18/13 20:16:43] Update Package Execution Started
    [11/18/13 20:16:43] Original command line: "C:\Users\soon\Downloads\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00.EXE"
    [11/18/13 20:16:43] DUP Framework EXE Version: 3.0.97.1
    [11/18/13 20:16:43] DUP Release: 1VN89X00-00
    [11/18/13 20:16:43] Intializing framework...
    [11/18/13 20:16:44] logo.png
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] User Command: attended
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] DUP Capabilities Value: 2097151 (0x1FFFFF)
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] DUP Vendor Software Version: 1.0.4.1
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] Local System/Model Compatible with this Package? Yes
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] Local System OS Version: 6.2.0.0
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] OS Compatible with this Package? Unknown
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] Local System OS Language: Unknown
    [11/18/13 20:16:45] Language Compatible with this Package? Unknown
    [11/18/13 20:16:46] Identified Behavior : attended
    [11/18/13 20:16:46] Temporary payload log file name: C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00\DUP5DE6.tmp
    [11/18/13 20:16:46] Translated Command Line : SynaUtilitySfx.exe /vLOGFILE=C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00\DUP5DE6.tmp
    [11/18/13 20:16:46] Path : C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00
    [11/18/13 20:16:46] Identified Behavior : attended
    [11/18/13 20:16:47] Append Vendor Software Log: C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00\DUP5DE6.tmp
    [11/18/13 20:16:47]
    --- Start of Vendor Software Log ---

[11/18/13 20:16:47] Unicode payload log file detected.
    [11/18/13 20:16:47] //===========================================================================
    // Installation log for Synaptics device driver bundle
    // Date: 2013-11-18 20:16:46
    //===========================================================================

Depackaging commands /vLOGFILE=C:\ProgramData\dell\drivers\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00\DUP5DE6.tmp
    Found package C:\Users\soon\AppData\Local\Temp\~SynaSetupBdl.zip with size 1413717

[11/18/13 20:16:47]
    --- End of Vendor Software Log ---

[11/18/13 20:16:47] Vendor Software Return Code: 3221226505
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] logo.png
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] (MUPXMLParser::GetResultName): *** Vendor Return Code is not found in Mup.xml
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] Name of Exit Code:
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] (DupAPI::GetReturnCode): *** Unable to find DUP value for:
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] Exit Code set to: 1 (0x1)
    [11/18/13 20:16:48] Result: FAILURE
    [11/18/13 20:16:52] Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00.txt
    [11/18/13 20:17:49] Open file: C:\ProgramData\Dell\UpdatePackage\Log\5830_Firmware_1VN89_WN_1.0.4.1_X00.txt
  15. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

Hover for the most part has worked almost better than I had expected.

Though I had the hover clicking happen with my pen after it fell off my desk. Disconnecting the battery for a few seconds seems to rest the calibration and now it works fine again. The main issues I have had with the pen is the end hooks & no pressure sensitivity being detected in the apps I use most of the time.
  16. dprice7

Here ya go! Last pressure & max pressure readings (I can't really test it, but I'm going to assume it works), and a slider to adjust the minimum pressure to use for inking. Yes, it's a tease, but this is all stuff that *should* be adjustable with calibration if Synaptics were to make something like that available... so it's kind of a proof-of-concept.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97577931/P-Test4.zip
  17. gerg

Works like a champ! You rock.
  18. sitongia

sitongia Pen Pal - Newbie

No problem installing it.
    l don't like the reversal of buttons I liked thinking of lower as left and upper as right button.
    Erase button in Journal works when pen setting to erase with top of pen is set (but you use the tip and button, not the top)
    Handwriting is better with less of the tails.
    Hover might be worse.
  19. dprice7

Were you able to write within the test app and get better results (fewer stray marks) than something like OneNote or Word?
  20. wataru

wataru Pen Pal - Newbie

The update won't fix the hovering clicking. I have two Dell active styluses - one has hovering clicking defect (will be returned) and one hasn't. The update won't fix the one with hovering clicking. It does seems that Dell has a quality control issue on the pen since so many people (includes me) observe hovering clicking. So IF YOUR PEN CLICKS WHILE HOVERING, EXCHANGE IT! No software could cure the hardware defect.

Being an owner of two Dell styluses, I am positive that hovering clicking is definitely caused by a defect stylus. I guess we have to keep exchanging it until we find the pen that does not click on its own - Dell's quality control ...
    crashsuit likes this.