Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Chris_Kez

Chris_Kez Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I ran Windows Update while I was working, periodically looking over and hitting reset on occasion. At the end I'd picked up a few things but somehow still hadn't made it even to the Anniversary Update! I think I'll just use the download tool on my other laptop to create installation media on a USB drive and try installing it on the DV8Pro.

2. DiorsGent

DiorsGent Pen Pal - Newbie

I had this brand new venue 8 pro 64Gb from Microsoft store probably back in 2013. Never opened until two days ago, thinking I should upgrade it to windows 10. Noticed that it could get charge after leaving it plugged in overnight but still could not boot.

Plugged in white charging indicator lit up, but would went off after say a couple of mins or hours, but as a matter of fact, the tablet still had critical low battery (pressing power button, giving the amber light for a few sec, then off).

I tried everything I can find from online, but nothing worked. I pressed the power button for 4-6min while unplugged to "deep discharge" and then plugged it back in, but still the same. I press n hold power button for 10 s and then release then press it again, same results. The only thing I did not do is to crack it open and disconnect the battery physically, actually seen one or two posts talking about that.

I'm way beyond warranty, but it felt bad to see a brand new tablet not be able to even charge and boot up. Any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

3. eelpout

eelpout Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 5855. Anyone running this on the latest Insider build of 17063? Some problems with my V8 Pro with it, can only use it in one orientation, what is known as secondary landscape, or rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise from upright portrait. This is the only mode in which the touch digitizer functions correctly. In all other orientations the touch registers in the wrong part of the screen. The odd thing is the auto-rotation of the screen works great, only the digitizer is messed up. Using a Bluetooth mouse also functions fine in all orientations. Recalibrating the touch doesn't seem to make a difference.

The other big issue is with the Settings panel. I can only get it to not crash in that same landscape orientation and only when Tablet Mode is enabled, in Desktop mode it always crashes.

I've tried doing a PC reset, keeping all user data intact and also turning off all non-Microsoft services and boot time startups, but to no avail. Also various incantations of sfc /scandisk haven't fixed anything.

Anyone else have these issues and ever find a solution?

4. eaferrari24

eaferrari24 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like you've tried everything you can without opening it up and/or buying a new battery. I can't remember if the Venue is Lithium Ion or Polymer, but a prolonged deep discharge is never good :/

That sucks. I stick to the latest stable Win10 releases, so I can't comment on your issues. I guess its about time our outdated drivers finally hit their compatibility limit. I just wish new 8inch devices existed. I would have upgraded to any brand name tablet by now.

My best advice would to try and get JenMSFT's attention on r/Windows10 17063 Insider Preview thread.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/...ncing_windows_10_insider_preview_build_17063/

5. eelpout

eelpout Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah, I might just reset it completely and run with the Fall creators update. that seemed stable enough.

My favorite 8-inch was a WinBook (TW801??), the one with the full-size HDMI and USB 3.0 ports. Unfortunately I dropped that one in an icy Minnesota parking lot and the screen was done :).

We can always hope that the Surface Mobile Device ("Don't call it a phone!") will be available in this size.