Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Is it at all difficult in going back from Win10 to Win8.1 on the DV8P? Some people here seem to like Win10, others no--am getting the feeling that one simply needs to try it out and see what's up, based on personal use . . . .

2. JJWatMyself

JJWatMyself Pen Pal - Newbie

Piece of cake to go back, although I have not done it myself. I would use the mocrosoft media creation toolkit and create a bootable usb. You'll need an OTG cable. During the install delete all the partitions. After the install if prompted for your key, choose skip as I believe it is stored in the bios.

3. rüdiger

rüdiger Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, everything "fine" with it. And nope, it does not enlarge metro app elements.

eaferrari24 likes this.
  4. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

Just upgraded to Win 10 again on my V8P. This time everything seems to be going well. No glitches or crashes yet, orientation is working as expected. The keyboard is working as I expect. Not sure about battey life yet, but it seems about normal. All the issues I had the first time that made me roll back to 8.1 are gone.

Mikerman likes this.
  5. rüdiger

If you dont "know" what normal is, you will always be happy with what you have, sadly. What I mean with this is, battery life is 3-5 times worse under Windows 10 sadly on the Venue 8 Pro compared to how it was (could be) under Windows 8.1. The good old watchdog bluescreen also happens a lot again, for example if you keep the power cable plugged to the tablet over night. I guess a lot of people dont notice these problems, because they shutdown their Windows, or use a different non 5Ghz Wifi, which I am sure it is related to. And of course all the tiny little annoying bugs which Windows 10 still has, blurry GUI fonts, clock/date shifted out the frame if in tablet horizontal mode, and and and.

6. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

Picked up a Venue 8 Pro for my wife so that I could use her Vivotab Note 8 at work (my VTN8 died, sadly). It certainly feels more sturdy than the VTN8. The Synaptics pen is definitely inferior to the VTN8's Wacom, but I think I could live with it as a note-taker if I had to--it would just take a little extra patience. Too bad it doesn't have GNSS and the batter life is not as good as the VTN8.

I may end up sending it back and letting my wife have her VTN8 back (she absolutely does not care which one she uses). This isn't so much because the V8P is lacking in any way, but rather because I'm thinking that I might want to upgrade from a small tablet to a larger hybrid (a Surface or maybe a T300 Chi or a Venue 11 Pro).

7. Mikerman

Thanks for the report, and great to hear! :) Please keep us advised over the next few days/weeks, as to whether you see any issues (including with battery life) and whether everything remains rosey? Thanks!

8. Mikerman

You're assuming that LTBonham doesn't know what "normal" is--but as he posted, he had tried out Win10 previously . . . .

9. rüdiger

I dont need to "assume". I am right. And yes, if you want to call it that what, he doesnt know what normal is. You/he/everyone saying "Windows 10 is fine" are free to prove me wrong by posting powercfg battery report statistics, showing the connected standby drain per hour. Until this wont happen, he doesnt know what normal (drain) behavior of a connected standby tablet under Windows is. Until your Windows 10 device does not drain more than 0.33% per hour, which is the normal drain rate of the Venue 8 Pro under Windows 8.1, I am right and you all are wrong. As simple as that. A 0.33% per hour means btw the tablet can stay around 300 hours with a single full battery charge in connected standby. That are 12,5 days. Does your Venue 8 Pro runs 12 days under Windows 10 with a single battery charge in connected standby? I dont think so.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  10. LTBonham

LTBonham Pen Pal - Newbie

You bring up a very good point. There is no chance I get 0.33% per hour for my tablet. Mine seems to lose more like 2% per hour in connected standby in Windows 10. I don't have a ton of data yet since I don't use connected standby much. When looking at my report I have a few very short sessions, a couple half hour ish sessions (1%), an hour session (2%) and an hour and a half session (3%). Not that ideal.

To say this is significantly better than Windows 8.1 though would probably be incorrect. I never had great standy times with this tablet, but I really never cared since it is cheap. I never spent any time trying to improve it. I shutdown at night anyway as it has seemed to help with any wireless issues that I have experienced and I wouldn't wake up to a lower battery if I didn't plug it in. I have no proof to back it up, just past experience. What little experience I have with W10 seems about normal for my tablet and usage.

What I was really meaning about battery life was usage during the day. Today for example, I went from 68% to 22% in an 8 hr work day playing 8tracks music for half ish of the day, a bit of web browsing, and a 1 hr GoToMeeting. This seems normal to slightly above normal for me.

I have had 1 issue with Wifi dropping connection and not being able to re-acquire connection in the last couple days. This seemed to happen every 1-3 days anyway before Windows 10.

At this point, the annoyances I had with 8 have rolled over to 10. I don't expect anything better.