Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Unrelated to the Dell, but geez, you're right. I recently picked up a cheap Chinese Windows 10 tablet to hold me over (my prior one has a shattered screen) and the standby "connected" battery life is horrific. I took it off charge less than 3 hours ago, and it's gone from 100% to 70% battery with no usage! Seriously think I need to stick with Windows 8 on my new tablet.

2. Cho_ST

Cho_ST Pen Pal - Newbie

Sweet thread. Heres mine and some stuff i have for it. About to try Windows 10 install.

Attached Files:

3. rüdiger

rüdiger Scribbler - Standard Member

Dont install Windows 10. You wont be happy with it on the Venue 8 Pro. Keep Windows 8.1.

4. Sunfox

Sunfox Scribbler - Standard Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Yes, there are a number of nice new features... but overall it is FAR less ideal for tablet usage. Windows 8.1 was blamed for being too touchscreen-centric while sacrificing desktop functionality. Well, W10 does the exact opposite and is now great on the desktop, but is downright touchscreen hostile, even in tablet mode. Not to mention that it has critical battery life issues in connected standby mode.

Personally, I consider any tablet that ships with W8.1 a huge benefit - because you get an OS that works great on it right now, and should Microsoft ever address the W10 functionality issues, you can upgrade then (instead of suffering with W10 now and HOPING they eventually fix it all).

5. rüdiger

Yes Windows 10 has lots of nice features, but here is worse (on the Venue 8 Pro):

- no fullscreen Edge/IE11, no tablet mode for Edge/IE11
    - no 150% or 175% scaling
    - uses about 2-3x as much battery in standby, about 1-1.5% per hour, Windows 8.1 drained about 0.33% per hour for me, it also happens very often that some process goes crazy and it drains 100% in just a few hours, I believe it is the bugged wifi driver, OneDrive or Cortana
    - wifi driver is very unstable, it happens a lot that you turn on your Venue and the Wifi symbol has a red X on it, and you have to restart Windows 10
    - comfort for tablet users is a huge step back, for example it is a mess to get inside metro app settings or to share things, because the swipe right share feature is gone in Windows 10
    - it happens at least once per week for me that the tablet rebooted during standby, aka bluescreen and I cant turn it on anymore (have to hard shutdown via holding down power for 10 seconds, or I am on the login screen, aka Windows rebooted)
    - lots of GUI issues like blurry fonts in some GUIs, start menu is always present even in tablet mode, lots of issues like start menu tooltips showing when tapping
    - date/time bugged very often when turning the tablet around and it is shifted out the screen
    - screen rotation a lot bugged and you have issues of using 100% of the screen
    - pin not always showing up on login screen

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. JJWatMyself

JJWatMyself Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone confirmed compatibility of the newly announced Wacom poem?

Bamboo Smart for Select Tablets and 2-in1 Convertible Devices

For select tablets and 2-in1 convertible devices:

Dell™ Venue™ 10, 5000 Series (5050)Dell™ Venue 10 Pro™ 5000 Series (5055)HP Elite x2 1012 G1Lenovo® ThinkPad® P40 Yoga™Toshiba dynaPad N72

I believe the Venue 10 uses the same screen tech as the 8 pro. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  7. Cho_ST

Cho_ST Pen Pal - Newbie

Didnt like W10 and went back to 8.1. Screen would not adjust to side landscape in either desktop or tablet mode. The bottom right hand corner which shows the time, dell autoupdate etc. was blurry as if the screen wasnt in the right resolution. Also, a deal breaker for me since i use this feature alot, was the fact it was prompting me to get Miracast if i want to screen mirror on my Samsung Smart. I was able to connect to wireless display in 8.1 easily with no need for any hard or software.

I did like the way it looked though and how the menu was set up and the way the desktop worked.

8. kkruglov

kkruglov Pen Pal - Newbie

about dpi scaling, you can set custom scaling options:
    [​IMG]

it makes everything bigger, but it fixed nextgen reader and cover "small" interface issues (those apps were build for win8.1)

9. rüdiger

That doesnt enlarge/fix the way too tiny elements/guis in metro apps. And Windows 10 froze after clicking sign out :~)

10. kkruglov

kkruglov Pen Pal - Newbie

hmm, it does (fix) tiny elements for me.

and i was able to change this setting to 150% without any freezes, so something is wrong with your install of windows 10, probably.