Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. pgoelz

pgoelz Pen Pal - Newbie

Be careful though..... it is rather poorly documented and in my case, it completely reformatted the HD I was backing up to. Pre-backup, it saw the two partitions on the destination HD and allowed me to select one of them as the destination. Post-backup, both original partitions and all original contents are gone and replaced with a new boot partition and the partition that contains the backup. It did NOT warn it was going to reformat. Good thing I was not trying to back up to my regular backup drive.

I have no idea what happens if I try to make a second backup.... I have to assume it will overwrite the first one.

It also refuses to back up to anything other than an actual fixed disk.... it won't back up to an SD card or thumb drive. And it requires a >100GB HD, even though the backup consumes around 5GB. Fairly useless, actually.

I miss Acronis ;)

Paul

2. KLF

KLF Scribbler - Standard Member

Me too.

On my way home I picked up uk->eur power plug adapter and a prepaid 3G sim card (I don't want to cut the sim I have in my laptop). I was pleased to find out that my Motorola Xoom2 charger works with this one.

WiDi to my LG TV worked but only on portrait mode unless external display only was selected. Which was kinda difficult, since the batteries in my Bt mouse apparently are dead and I couldn't control the screen :) Also windows complained that my TV wasn't Windows Certified, if that causes problems I guess I need to whine at LG then.

I think biggest learning curve here is with Win8.1 in itself. Tablet just works.

3. Cirano994

Cirano994 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone? :(

The tablet is amazing but this problem is annoying. :(

:)

4. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you updated the wifi driver from the Dell site? I have no issues connecting to my WPA2 network.

5. Cirano994

Cirano994 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep.

But now i've tried to connect the Venue to my Nexus 5 through Wifi thetering with WPA2 encryption and it is all ok...

So i think the problem can be my router.

I'll do other tests.

:)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

6. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

Ugh, had an annoyingly, almost exactly similar experience. I used a 2TB hard drive to use the backup utility from Dell. Its really annoying because it requires you to completely wipe the drive before it can be used.

So thinking I could get around that, I repartitioned the drive. I kept my data on a separate partition and added a new one to use for the backup.

Like you mentioned, it showed both partitions, and I selected the one I wanted. Since I just wanted to back up the DV8P I really didn't put too much thought into it. Stupid move on my part. It completely reformatted the entire drive instead of just the partition that I was hoping it would.

Ended up 'losing' all my data that was on the drive. Was mostly just a bunch of old data, nothing that I need (I think ;) ). The most annoying part about it, the backup barely took up any space on the drive, so I now have a 2TB drive with 98% of it empty space unable to be used. I'm not going to touch it until I hopefully recover the old data.

So pro tip (now obvious), don't use a huge backup drive for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

thanks......

8. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

i have a couple of old 200gb sata drives laying around that i will likely never use again. so no big deal there. but i really do want that 5 gigs of space on my 32 gig dell. worth using that old drive for me. thanks.

9. jadesse

jadesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I am seriously thinking about purchasing & installing Outlook 2013 on my VP8. After the installation, how much space does it actually require? The specs say that it requires 3G but is that correct?

10. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, i'm new and i purchased a V8P 3G 3 days ago, and i'm facing some issues :rolleyes:
    The V8P has latest drivers, updates and BIOS ( A05 ).
    Wifi connection seems to work sometimes, some others it appears as connected but i can't use the net, i have to disconnect and reconnect. Other times the network driver seems to have problems( yellow triangle ), and i have to restart or disinstall and let recognise the HW...strange, the driver is the newest one.

But the biggest problem is, if i activate the 3G and put it to sleep/standby, after 2-3 times the monitor stays black and the only thing i can do is to "reset" windows by keep pressing the power button. This is an insane bug, i can't keep the 3G active, before switch the display off i MUST put it to airplane...meh.
    I tried all things described on other threads, like manipulate bios settings, reinstall gpu drivers, but nothing worked, the black screen keeps showing, and ONLY with 3G enabled.
    Is there anything i can do? I'm really disappointed with this driver issues, i have an inspiron too and i'm really happy with this, but this V8P is driving me crazy :mad:

p.s. sorry if my English is not perfect :)