Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Way cool there!

2. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

For those that have been looking for a good Metro file manager:

There is actually one already on your device, the OneDrive app.

Just open OneDrive, in the top left click OneDrive then select 'This PC'. From there you can see all your files. You can also copy/paste any of them to new locations as well.

Not the most intuitive thing having the OneDrive app be the metro file manager, but it is.

______

Also, a really good metro photo editor is Fotor. You can do all the basics of photo correction, as well as change the size and quality of your photos (really handy when downsizing to post on this forum).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  3. Osteoman

Osteoman Pen Pal - Newbie

Just unboxed the new DV8P in red. Ok I admit I had doubts about the red. I thought it might be feminine. Wrong! more like red sports car. I'll post pictures when able.

Nice and fast is my first impression.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Way cool--a sportscar DV8P! :)

5. Strong Texan

Strong Texan Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, I've looked high and low both here and in XDA and cannot seem to find an answer to my issue. I am trying to connect my android device to my V8P and I cannot seem to get the V8P to recognize it. I've installed Kish's universal driver and I've attempted to connect multiple android devices with no luck. The exact same software configuration work on a W8.1 desktop machine (tested for trouble shooting purposes). The only two variables I can find are the micro USB port and the associated Adapter. I would be grateful for any suggestions or help you my have. Thanks!

6. benny90

benny90 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm guessing your connecting it through an OTG cable... Have you tested your OTG cable with another USB device (USB memory stick) and does it recognize anything? Could be a faulty OTG cable.

7. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

Never knew this existed. A very slick tip ... Thanks

8. Strong Texan

Strong Texan Pen Pal - Newbie

I did try both a memory stick and a smart card reader and both seen to work. I am still baffled by this!

9. jjstewart

jjstewart Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ran across an amazing app that I haven't seen talked about. It's called touchme gesture studio. It Allows you to customize numerous gestures into hotkey combinations in both metro and desktop mode. Check it out in the store... my favorite app yet by far! Sorry if this has already been discussed -wish I knew about this months ago.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

10. Bache

Bache Pen Pal - Newbie

I received my 32GB DV8P on Wednesday after waiting 3 weeks for Dell to ship it. My first impression of the device was great, but now I'm not so sure.
    I turned it on today and noticed two dead pixels. One white one in the upper left of the screen while in portrait mode, and one black one in the center of the left hand side of the screen. I've hear that getting support from Dell is like pulling teeth, and considering it took 3 weeks for the first one to arrive, I'm hesitant about sending it back. If they operated like the Google Play store where they send a replacement before you send your old one back, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Moving on to actual usage, it's certainly snappy enough, but I'm beginning to think that 2GB of RAM really isn't enough. On a fresh boot, my RAM usage hovers at around 35-45% with nothing else running. After opening Chrome with a single tab, AdBlock and the Google Image Search extension, my RAM usage shoots up to around 60% as Chrome is consuming 400MB of RAM. I tried Firefox with the same configuration, however I got annoyed with the keyboard not automatically opening by itself, the scrolling performance was shocking, and the UI just wasn't all that touch friendly.

Every now and then, when turning on the tablet and going to sign in, the OSK doesn't appear, and I have to use the one through the Accessibility Options menu, which is tiny and difficult to log in with.

Before receiving the device, I was starting to fret that 32GB wouldn't be enough, as most users reported only around 10GB available after the Windows install and the recovery partition. After Using the built-in Windows 8 Recovery Creator Tool, I deleted both the 5GB recovery partition, and the 500MB partition. Windows Disk Management wouldn't allow me to merge that 500MB partition, so I disabled drive encryption and used Easus Partition Master to merge it, leaving me with a 28.4GB C: drive. After installing all of the Windows 8 updates, Office, Java, Steam (500MB) and VLC, I'm left with around 15.2GB free.

I was also concerned that an 8" environment might be slightly too small for a complete Windows 8.1 desktop, however I've found it more than pleasant to use. Very rarely have I mis-clicked. Even creating documents with Office is a good experience. The default Windows keyboard takes some getting used to coming from the stock Android keyboard. I really miss the swipe input, as well as the auto capitalization and auto-correct. If somebody knows of a decent alternative, please let me know.

On the same day that the DV8P arrived, I was invited to the Steam In-Home Streaming beta. Initially I had Steam installed to my MicroSD card, but apparently the transfer rate wasn't good enough for Steam to stream properly. Audiosurf had constant lagspikes and was very unplayable. After reinstalling Steam to the internal storage, Audiosurf only lags during the menus for some reason, and the actual gameplay is very smooth - almost like running it from the machine. That's about the extent of my success though. I tried to stream Skyrim as well as Garry's Mod, but those both stuttered way too much to be playable. I tried streaming them both to my laptop, and they played fine, so I'm assuming it's to do with the tablet not being able to decode the stream fast enough. People on YouTube have had greater success though, as I've seen them playing Skyrim just fine. My desktop that I stream from uses an i5 2500k, 16GB RAM and a GTX770, so it's not an issue of power on that end. Counter-Strike Source played perfectly running on the device (the video benchmark scored an average of 59FPS), as did South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Battery life has been... Sporadic. Screen on times are generally great, but sleep time has been very hit and miss. Overnight last night, I lost around 30% of battery, while during the same period of time today, I lost around 7%. I tether my tablet to my phone's data connection, and while the connection strength of the tablet to the phone is always fine, when the phone has little reception, the tablet drains heavily for some reason. Monitoring sleepstudy, I see nothing unusual; it's in connected standby 100% of the time, and everything is green meaning that there's nothing battery intensive.

The onboard storage seems fast enough, but SD data transfers are painful. Copying 2.5GB of files to it took around 20 minutes. That could just be my 8GB MicroSD card though. I won't get my 32GB Class 10 Kingston card back until mid-May to test. My device shipped with A04 BIOS, so I was unable to tweak the speed settings, though I have updated to A05 which apparently forces the high-speed eMMC settings.

I'm so sorry for the wall of text, but these are the impressions of someone who switched from the Nexus 7 2013. If anybody can help with any of my gripes, it would be much appreciated. Also does anybody know if the glass uses any type of protection?