Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, I can already confirm one thing reported by Guac and others - THIS IS NOT YOUR GRANDDADDY'S ATOM. Installing Office 365 now (need Outlook and have an open license still available) and IE 11 is smooth as butter - opened 6 links off ESPN home page and moved back and forth between tabs with NO LAG (never saw that on the old ThinkPad Tablet 2) - IF ONLY THIS WERE WACOM DEVICE!!!! :(

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Nice. ESPN can be a bad one too. Lots of flash.

3. dstrauss

That was my thought too. I am going to be SO PISSED if I can't make the stylus work acceptably!

PS - cranked it out to 150% - good for old eyes and fat fingers - with stylus I think 125% should be good enough

4. Mesosphere

Damn you... making me want to run to walmart...

demandarin likes this.
  5. dstrauss

RACE don't run - although we really need more stylus data - my immediate thought is the 64gb version will go back until I can get the LTE version. This is what a companion tablet should be. Also 16:10 is much better than 16:9 - wouldn't have believed that!

Biotechbum likes this.
  6. redviper

redviper Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok I just tried out the stylus in a moving car and here are my impressions.

1. Pressure sensitivity is broken. Don't use it in OneNote desktop. Without pressure sensitivity the letters form better and cleaner and ink to text works even better than the wacom on my ativ.
    2. I writer cursive and that seems to flow better. There is a moment of time where when you lift the pen and it leaves the last vestige of a stroke. Cursive has less issues with that.
    3. The tip is too smooth I am going to try putting a bit of rubber on it.

Will post more impressions in a bit.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

7. msftds

msftds Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I just got my stylus delivered at work. I am an inking newbie, and I have to say my initial impressions have been negative as well. The stylus seems to work well if you maintain contact with the screen (cursive), but if you lift your stylus the writing comes out terribly. I would think this means it would work well for marking up documents, making small notes, but for really taking comprehensive notes I wouldn't use this. I will do further testing but this isn't looking good.

On another note, the case Dell sells is quite nice. It has a nice feeling in the hat and fits the device like a glove.

I am keeping my Dell Venue since for me the inking was just a nice bonus, but I could see some of you waiting for your dream inking device bailing.

8. Mesosphere

Two different pen reviews within 1 minute! Cursive doesn't work well for equations so that isn't an option for me, but I'll deffinately try turning off the pressure sensitivity when I get it =)

9. dstrauss

So it balances on the steering wheel pretty well? :D

MikeOx likes this.
  10. Biotechbum

Biotechbum Pen Pal - Newbie

Crossing my fingers for crappy release drivers. I hope this isn't the full potential of the technology.