Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

Only time will tell if it can be improved with better drivers or if the hardware is the issue...
    Even if there is a hardware issue it might be something that can be fixed with just a new pen.

Though I am not happy with how much extra dell wants for the pen with it's current quality.
    It should be something like $9.99... not $34.99.

2. sillysealey

sillysealey Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been lurking for the past month. I have followed this thread since Day 1. Still excited about getting my hands on. I was able to play the demo at WallyWorld.

For amazon, it says the 31st its available on my mobile but the 1st when I use the browser and not the app. Anyway there are now tons of accessories being offered including cases and (dare I say it) capacitive styli.

I don't have experience on inking since my hp tm2 got stolen on vacation. However, it would appear that the issue may not evrr be resolved for this sku but hopefully driver updates could assist. I'm the optimist here in hopes that release a version that improves upon the pen experience.

Could anyone recommend a really cheap notetaking device with wacom pen that I might use to supplement this purchase?

Yes I want the unicorn @dstrauss! I don't see this fairy tale having a happy ending tpt3, miix2, samsung win note 8, etc. By the time those come out we might be looking at another class of processors like haswell/broadwell.

I think I'm gonna forge ahead since their early adoption volume looks significant and this product vp8 and vp11 could have a longer lifecycle for dell.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. boarder2

boarder2 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my pen and I completely agree. It feels plenty accurate for note taking when you maintain contact. The problem is that it continues to track for a brief period after you lift from the screen. That's what's causing the tails. I don't notice the delay on starting a stroke as much though.

I also can't find any kind of settings for how the pressure works or anything like that. In Fresh Paint I can't provide enough pressure to make a "full" stroke no matter how hard I press.

4. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

I suggest everyone who buys the tablet open a support case and complain about the poor stylus. Just point them to this youtube video taken by "PHANTOM LIGHT GAMES BY – TISHAWN FAHIE"

Dell Venue 8 Pro using Stylus with OneNote HQ - YouTube

followed up by a complaint post on their twitter/facebook page. Once enough complaints have occured they will either fix it (if fixable) or lower the stylus price (so u can get a credit/return)

5. bdann

bdann Pen Pal - Newbie

They aren't pushing them all back. Mine still shows a delivery date of 11/5, ordered 10/24.

6. SpacePsych

SpacePsych Pen Pal - Newbie

Same, I wonder when they are shipping out though. No shipping yet...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just tested this for you, Samsung Note 3 pen does not function on the Venue 8 Pro.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This now has me wondering to see how the pen will perform on the Venue 11 Pro and XPS 11, with the i core cpus.

Anyone know if the nibs between synaptic pen and n-trig pen are swappable?

9. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

...or just get rid of the pen altogether like HP did with the Atmel systems!

10. Nicholas8681

Nicholas8681 Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think it's silly. I'm about to do the same.

These two together is much more natural than a surface pro 2 and an ipad, which is what I use now.

12. rfreeman11

rfreeman11 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hope someone can help here, but what is the safest way to recover the recovery section without losing the recovery data?

IE how do I get the 4.6 GB back?

13. Asylum1621

Asylum1621 Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, Dell customer support can be the worst! I originally ordered a 64GB Venue Pro 8 along with a logitech tablet keyboard, 1 stylus and 1 case/folio. (Everything my gf could want essentially) After reading all through these forums and learning how poor the stylus performance was I contacted customer service to tell them I had concerns with the device. They offered me $40 discount for not cancelling, ok I'll stick with it. Oh at this time I tried to cancel the order of the keyboard only because they are available right now on Amazon for cheaper, with faster shipping. Dell told me they could not as it was supposed to ship "soon" so it was too late to cancel. No biggie I figured, I can wait and it's not a big price difference with amazon. Well fast forward 12 hours and I get an email saying the keyboard, case/folio, and pen have all been delayed until November 18th! Damn Dell!
    I contacted customer support, because obviously if the keyboard won't ship until the 18th they have plenty of time to cancel the order.... and they proceeded to tell me that the $40 discount was offered "only on the condition that I not cancel any part of my order" so now I'd better be willing to wait 3 weeks on a keyboard I could have the day after tomorrow, or be willing to pay more?!?! The ship date on the 64GB tablet is still the 5th of November, so let's hope they at least get that right.

14. MicroByte

MicroByte Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  15. teknikk7

teknikk7 Pen Pal - Newbie

What file format was it? Can you do the same test with fat32 or viseversa.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  16. teknikk7

teknikk7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, mine also got pushed back. If anyone thinks it's to fix a pen, I mean seriously? I have never seen a company move that quick. Most likely they froze all shipments to minimize liability while they look into the issue. Once they realize it's minor issue they will continue to ship them. Not trying to minimize the issue, but for anyone expecting Wacom for $299? C'mon

17. sirfergy

sirfergy Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone noticed music distorts when in connected standby? I want to know if it's just me, or a platform problem.

18. funkdat

funkdat Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered mine about 15 mins within them being on Dell's site. I've talked to support many times and they tell me a different date every time. Right now their current standing is no 64GB tablet will be shipped before Nov. 7th. I'm sure if you call now you'll get a even later date. So far I've racked up $55 is saving with them trying to make me not cancel.

And to anyone wondering, you can cancel you order when it's in production because they aren't going to meet the ETA of the ship dates they are giving. Just point that out and they will let you cancel.

19. Howdymi

Howdymi Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know what the price will be on the keypad when it becomes available??

20. bdann

bdann Pen Pal - Newbie

My stylus and cover just went to "shipped", so they certainly are not delaying them all. Estimated delivery is Tuesday.