Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jtoverath

jtoverath Pen Pal - Newbie

I can verify that the full XCOM (unknown and within) both just crash if you try and run on the V8P. Will have to do some research tonight whne i get home.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks. I'm trying out battery bar now =)

As for the tray icon, I already had the battery indicator showing, it just doesn't give a prediction of time remaining. I read up on this a bit and it appears this is a hardware based prediction not software, so windows simply reports what the hardware tells it in terms of the prediction. It doesn't attempt to calculate it itself. I guess the V8P hardware doesn't report that information to the OS?

3. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah sorry about that the second link was suppose to be something else but i linked the wrong thing...and now i can not find it. But anyway i use Battery bar and it is good and gets better the longer you use it as it learns. I use the free version and that is enough.

4. UserMade

UserMade Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw someone say that their sd card got stuck in their v8p and they couldn't get it out. Has this happened to anyone else? Anybody using micro SD successfully?

5. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry you wasted your time and money purchasing the Motorola stylus. You can only use the Synaptics Active stylus on the Dell. If the Motorola stylus is capacitive like the ones used on the iPad it will recognize touches but will not work well for writing.

When it comes to active digitizers you can only use stylus with the same technology: Wacom, N-Trig, Amtel or Synaptics. Cant use different stylus technology with different tablets. Hopefully Dell will release a firmware update to fix the stylus problems. If not, many will probably send these tablets back and Dell will have a huge flop on their hands.

6. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 Scribbler - Standard Member

No problems with the two I have. I really don't know how that user got theirs stuck. It is almost impossible the way the port is manufactured. They would have to have it in backwards and put a lot of force to get it stuck. Just make sure the writing on the microSD card faces the front when inserting. You will also need a long fingernail or something to push the edge in all the way until it clicks into place. You will also need some tweezers to remove it as well unless you have long fingernails.

7. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yep i am aware of that and i am not expecting it to work.... I only hope it works as a pointer with DT apps without the random click probs everyone else is having because that is what i will mainly use it for.. My note taking and drawing etc. is done on my Surface pro. Than after i get the Dell stylus i will decide which one works for me.... Ultimately nothing will beat the SP or sammy notes....atleast not the Dell for now.

8. OgreMustCrush

OgreMustCrush Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, I finally got my backup restored. Had to create a winpe 8.1 drive with true image to ever get it to boot. Now that I'm back to my previous setup, I notice there are definite changes to how the software is loaded on these things. The newer build had a lot more icons and dell crap loaded, didn't get the secureboot watermark (even though I believe it was still turned off by default) and seems to boot into the orientation you hold it. The older build always boots into portrait mode until you unlock, gets the secure boot thing, and seems to have more issues with missing and duplicating touches. On this new tablet I was getting the sleep of death on the new build, haven't had by backup of the old build running long enough to see if it will too on this hardware, but I never had the problem on my 32gb. I'm curious how well the pen worked on the newer build, as the touch seemed better(could be placebo,) but I never got around to testing it.

9. Ishman

Ishman Pen Pal - Newbie

Great, Lets us know if this works. Sure is much cheaper and looks to be the same or similar technology.

10. NJHitmen

NJHitmen Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely not the same technology. But based on the Amazon reviews, my guess is that it will work - it just won't support the advanced features of an active stylus. In other words, it should be fine for navigating/pointing/clicking, but won't offer pressure sensitivity or palm rejection. Can probably be used for very rough handwriting.