Venue 8 Pro Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'Dell' started by neurack, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Geoeng

Geoeng Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks. It's a bit frustrating that I can't get three open. Having thirds of Twitter, Espn, and another similar app would he great during game time. Silly restriction, but I get it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

2. funkyGeneral

funkyGeneral Pen Pal - Newbie

If you mean, for example, having two instances of Reader open, you open multiple tabs, and from the tab menu (swipe down) you can right click, or hold and click, and the option to open that document in a new window should show up.

3. sillyworm

sillyworm Pen Pal - Newbie

What is the micro SIM card slot used for?

4. I_Am_Me

I_Am_Me Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the best and most important things you should do is run Windows properly as a standard user. Since Windows 2000 or so you're not suppose to use Windows with admin privileges. After your first boot up and initial Windows 8.1 setup, add a second user and give it "standard access". Then never touch your original admin account again unless you're installing software.

5. dprice7

dprice7 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hah..The first thing I do on a new Windows install is take ownership of the Windows Defender program files in the security properties, give administrators full access, rename them, reboot and delete.

Dear Microsoft, not having the choice to remove optional software and the barrage of updates to said software is pretty crappy. I understand; if you are not a computer expert, having something built in is better than nothing...but I can count on the middle of a donut the number of times my PC has been infected. So it just slows me down and consumes disk space. I've actually disabled automatic updates on all my computers because I have to manually hide the damn Defender updates. Ok, sorry for the rant.

Full disclosure, I write anti-malware software (I disable its real-time protection on my PC too.)

6. Asylum1621

Asylum1621 Pen Pal - Newbie

This isn't at all a valid argument for solid state storage (as eMMC is) you're thinking of doubling processor frequency, which by the way, does not use more power, however processors do become unstable at higher speeds and so the natural solution is to up the chip voltage, which will draw more power. Anyway none of that matters, here's what you need to know about eMMC. Increasing the speed WILL NOT DRAW MORE POWER, if anything it should draw less power. Let's say you want to do a file write, the eMMC must come out of standby and activate the memory pages that need to be written to, these pages will stay active until the file write is over. If you can double the speed of your device by utilizing HS200 then the eMMC will need to be in its active state for much less time than it would at a lower speed, thus saving battery life. (honestly it might not increase battery life but it's not gonna hurt it that's for sure)

-source I work for a major mobile eMMC producer and do testing on eMMC devices constantly using logic analyzers, current meters, you name it. My first internship was dedicated to feature study on eMMC devices including the JEDEC 4.41 standard (the one that introduced HS200). Look for HS400 on samsung devices in the near future.

In regards to "why would dell have it disabled", for the same reason they had secure boot disabled resulting in a watermark on thousands of shipped devices upon first boot... they messed up. Crazy I know but as the first BayTrail 8" device to launch Dell has been on what was likely an enormously tight schedule. Additionally they're working with Synaptics on a completely new digitizer technology which has not been tested before. So things get missed, even if they were aware of some incorrect bios settings it may have been too far along in the production process to go back and make sure all of the bios settings were fixed... the point is this is bleeding edge technology and mistakes will be made. This same things keeps me hopeful that the synaptics pen will get better...

7. jhigh2000

jhigh2000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried to watch any Amazon Prime Instant Videos in HD on this tablet? I'm getting very noticeable audio stuttering using the flash player in both Metro and desktop IE (video is smooth). My Surface RT and other devices play the videos smoothly so I know it's not a bandwidth issue.

8. teknikk7

teknikk7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone messed with the (IGD) Intel Graphics Device within the advanced bios? It appears you can change the Turbo and GFX Boost settings. Not sure what kind of effect it may have?

Advanced BIOS -->Chipset-->North Bridge Intel

9. tonyz3

tonyz3 Scribbler - Standard Member

10. J0ebiden

J0ebiden Pen Pal - Newbie

So, what's the final verdict on the type of micro sd card to use? Is the SanDisk Extreme a waste of money (for the DV8P) vs the SanDisk Ultra?