venue 8 pro in car questions

Discussion in 'Dell' started by venue8, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venue8

venue8 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I recently made a mount for my dv8p tablet in the car. Right now I have a dash cam being plugged in 1 of my cigarette lighters. I'm using the tablet along with a portable usb audio card. I also recently aqquired the dell cable for charging and data at the same time. So I had to just wire it up so I could have audio and charging at the same time when plugging it in the car.
    I used a cigarette-usb adapter which I had.....I opened it extended the two wires and spliced one of the wires to the cigarette lighter in my car.

So basically I can charge the tablet when the car starts and it's plugged in. I was driving recently and I encountered a problem.....the tablet would auto shut down....I have the tablet play music while I drive that's how I know. It was a hot day and I've left my tablet in my car....I do this all the time so I can cross that off the list of the source of the problem....I was also using an actual garmin gps while driving arond connected in the usb.....now I dont think that's the problem either...

I'm quite certain it's because the tablet was already fully charged........and because it was over charging....the tablet would auto shut off....as soon as I removed the charging cable (while driving).....it never auto shutted off again.....How does the dv8p work with being overcharged....will it behave differently when charging at home with the official or other wall chargers? What about charging it through a car cigarette-usb adapter? Should I just not charge the tablet while driving if it's full and when I want to charge it plug it in?

2. baxter

baxter Scribbler - Standard Member

Most (if not all) device batteries have shutdown thermal/overvoltage protection circuitry. In your case, it may be a combination of both. Your V8P car charger may not be properly filtering voltage transients which can occur, for example, when the air conditioner switches on or off. Your car circuitry should take care of this, but cheap Chinese chargers have been known to ruin expensive devices.

At home, I have never observed the V8P shutting down when fully charged with the charger connected. If you monitor the current flow with a Charger Doctor, the current draw will be of the order of a few mA at full charge. I suspect you have a temperature problem. I wouldn't charge in the car unless the V8P needed charging.

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Echoing, as far as I am aware, my DV8P has never shut down when fully charged and plugged into the AC at home. That's its normal setup.

4. Tito

Tito Pen Pal - Newbie

5. venue8

venue8 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've only had this issue once so far. I haven't kept too much track of the charge rate since it's too functional and i'm just enjoying it. But I'm somewhat certain the battery life stays about the same percent since the screen is on while in the car.

6. Vener8

Vener8 Vener8 Representative

We have a number of customers that charge their Venue 8 Pro in their car using the Vener8. Most have something like a USB drive plugged into the USB port. We haven't had any reports of shut downs using this combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.