Venue 10 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by soh5, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoonman

spoonman Pen Pal - Newbie

in case anyone orders the stylus coupon code "8VRLG0S$393Z9X" works for 5 bucks off. It something at least, lol.

cmergel likes this.
  2. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

How well? As well as wacom and n-trig at doing precise creative work?
    I saw acer 11 which use synaptics (should be the new pen as it was silver) which was still rubbish though. I mean it's bearable for notes and fixed some of the black pen problems but for the love of pen, I'd better spend my miniscule amount of money on wacom or n-trig

3. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm probably not the person to ask--writing/drawing on glass is not my preferred mode. Guess it's too many years using paper and having that nice feel of friction. But for what it is, the Dell Synaptics active stylus seemingly has been taken as far as that technology allows, for a solid stylus of that tech.

edit: Dang, just saw that I just hit 1,000 posts here (some of which even are helpful). I need to get a life. ;)

4. royshu

royshu Pen Pal - Newbie

could you plz make a short review about the stylus(accuracy on the edge, inking, pressure level)? thanks

5. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Sorry, I have been away.

Writing\inking is actually very nice. I do get a very rare ink distort, but getting far and far less occurrence. The screen is very slick with the stylus, may need a screen protector for a little friction. I am not the right person with regards to pressure level. I just use the stylus for writing, not an artist by any means. The edges are fantastic, the accuracy is spot on.

Being this is a company device I upgraded it to professional without issue and joined to our domain.

6. themulf

themulf Pen Pal - Newbie

I should be receiving my Pro 10 Thursday!

I may, If I get the time, try to do a quick review. For background, I owned and returned a Surface Pro 3. Loved the computer but not a fan of NTrig. I also tried out a Thinkpad Yoga, but found the screen accuracy inconsistent and ghosting an issue. After extensive scouring of wacom options, this one popped out of no where, preventing me from almost getting the Toshiba Encore Write 2. I tend to be picky about these devices, so I think my opinion should be somewhat useful.

Also, I'm not a professional illustrator but I do enjoy drawing and have a strong preference to Wacom.

NotBatman likes this.
  7. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. The surface 3 is very tempting for me, but as an artist I'm just not sure I can get on board with the delay of n-trig pens. The AES tech is really interesting because of how it 's able to keep up with your strokes and the accuracy. I'm more inclined towards getting this dell or the encore 2, but I am weary of dell quality. It seems like their tablets are very hit or miss.

8. Amerikaner

Amerikaner Pen Pal - Newbie

I got mine the same day the S3 was announced...instantly had buyers remorse before I even opened it. I opened it anyway and have been testing it out with a couple screen protectors. The matte/anti-glare protector feels like it's writing on paper, but severly distorts the nice full HD display. Tried a gloss screen protector and pen glides really easily as if it's on a slick surface. If I had to compare the the pens I would say that the Wacom Active Stylus on the DV10Pro has little less lag and a little more accuracy especially at the corners and edges than the Surface Pen. However, the legnth of the pen is a little shorter which may feel a bit weird for some. The buttons are almost flush with the barrel of the pen so it is less likely to have accidental clicks while writing. Overall, i'm very impressed with the stylus pen itself and prefer it to the Surface pen. That said, the Surface pen is a close second with accuracy, but the lag is noticeable.

As for the DV10Pro tablet itself, it's typical Dell. The fit and finish is not perfect and have noticed inconsistent gaps on the screen edges...we're talking of fractions of a millimeter, but it is there if you look really closely. The tablet thickness is a bit a-symetric as the top tapers thinner while the bottom is straight (holding it landscape). The rubberized plastic edges feel a bit cheapy. It does not feel like a premium tablet. the 10.1" screen makes the bezel look really big for a tablet this size. Battery life seems really good and better than my old Venue 8 Pro.

Oh and I played with the Surface 3 on display at my local bigbox retailer and am impressed with the balance and build quality. I have an Surface Pro 3 and at first glance it looks the same, but is easier to hold and has better balance.

If only the Surface had the Wacom stylus.

I would say if the stylus accuracy is your primary concern, then the DV10 Pro is the best option as the Toshiba Encore 2 Write feels a bit flimsy and they offer no replacement pens. But, if you're willing to get a little less accuracy and some pen lag, the overall specs and build quality of the Surface 3 would be the better deal.

As for me, I'm still on the fence.

cmergel likes this.
  9. spoonman

spoonman Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you buy universal screen protectors or is there a place selling precut ones?

Anyone buy the dell case? I still have like $20 of dell advantage rewards to kill.

10. Amerikaner

Amerikaner Pen Pal - Newbie

I used some extra Surface Pro 3 screen protectors and cut it to fit. The only ones I can find that are pre-cut fit are from Amazon, but shipping will take about 3-4 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.