Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ditto. As long as the stylus can't get left behind and it isn't exposed to damage during accidental bumps and drops, I'm satisfied.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

3. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I wonder what happens when you enter tent or media modes. Does it fall out? Or does it sort of “click” into place?

Other than that, it seems nice. I’ve long though some sort of silo in the hinge are would be useful. It feels like an area of wasted space in a lot of laptops.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Actually I would make a counterpoint that the loss of vertical space is actually to the benefit of the A940...>>

Counter-counterpoint: My wife loves the height of the Studio 2 because her work involves portrait orientation almost all of the time. She would probably not find the A940's "height-challenged" screen nearly as user friendly!

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From the link:
    "Drop the pen in the garage and it magnetically holds it in place. The hinge rotates so the pen remains accessible regardless of the position the screen is in. Close the screen to the keyboard and the pen is safely stowed inside."

Essentially, it combines the quick access of a magnetic solution in tablet mode, with the safety of a silo solution in closed clam-shell mode.

Very clever. :thumbsup:

darkmagistric, dellaster and Steve B like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

This!
    It always bothered me that the engineers didn't consider some solution for the pen in that gap. It seems so self-evident.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ok another interesting pen gadget, the "Slate Repaper":

It uses magnetic rings to essentially turn any writing instrument into an EMR stylus:

[​IMG]

...while the digitizer pad takes care of registering the physical pressure of your strokes.

Pretty neat! :)

8. Kumabjorn

For freehand notetaking or doodling, yes. Not so much for annotating a book or brushing up a photo, I'm guessing.

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The engineers probably did consider it, but the detachablity of the Clipboard is probably why they didn’t do that. since the Clipboard can in essence be used separate of the keyboard if so desired....magnetically attaching the pen to the side would be more practical. Storing the pen in the hinge doesn’t work as nice if you don’t physically bring the hinge,

10. Kumabjorn

Ok, but how often would anyone just bring the clipboard? Battery life is abysmal so you don't want to be away from that juicy keyboard/dock for too long, I would imagine. Also, wouldn't some sort of clip on the pen solve a problem like that?

dstrauss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.