Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

8550U? 8650U? 8559U? 8850H? 8950HK? 8500Y?
    8705G? 8706G? 8709G? 8809G?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Shogmaster likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Bought it last week for the Nintendo Switch: feels like a nice little game. So nice I ended up turning on Zelda for the first time since at least 8 months.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not shown during the presentation, but the new Inspiron 7000 2-in-1s, have an interesting new "pen cubby" I've never seen before:
    [​IMG]

Works even when folded back!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can't wait to start seeing this on more convertibles. :)

4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think they made a mistake in calling it the "Black Edition", a name that was jinxed by Acer with their (almost vaporware) Switch 7.

Was there any detachable 2-in-1 shown at CES this year? Aside from the beastly Asus ROG Mothership, that is?

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But the real question....to all Tablet PC Review Forum Members who adhere strictly to “Silo or Bust” .....does this pen Cubbyhole suffice?

I for one love this concept. Haven’t seen a more perfect solution to offering a full size pen and a secure place to stow it since the ep121.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The point is to have it available at all times, the Surface Go and latest iPad Pro with their magnetic solution is good enough for me since I carry the device in a pouch. Should the pen fall of, it is still in the pouch. So in my usage case I think that solution is better than good. A silo, as we saw with the Note 5 (IIRC), can come with its own problems.

7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I guess it's better than nothing. @dstrauss what do you think of the pen slot vs silo?

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The hinge is where I park my stylus anyway while I'm in laptop mode with my current 2-in-1, so this makes sense.

Except I have to remember it's there when it comes time to close the lid. I did close the lid one time -on a toothpick S Pen- and fortunately there was enough structural flex in the build to not break or shatter anything, but I make a point now of double-checking before wrapping things up. I'd hate to have done that with the full sized pen!

The only drawback...

If this design becomes popular and takes over, it might mean another step toward the end of the toothpick S Pen in convertibles. -Possibly the only thing keeping Wacom EMR a player in a 2-in-1 device. We're awfully close today to a universe where portable computers have nothing but Wacom's deliberately craptastic AES solution or Microsoft's (authentically craptastic) N-Trig pens available...

If that happens.., well, it looks like, as with my old Tecra M4, I'll be running a 2017 Notebook 9 Pro for the next twelve years before a viable update comes along. How old will I be by then..? Yikes.

batty likes this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That serves the same purpose as my silo demand - a garage for the pen. Unfortunately, the BEST solution is still the yellow S-Pen stick in a silo, but I don't ever see MS, and therefore its minions, dumping N-Trig.

Besides, the SB2 already has the cubby gap - just needs a thinner pen and magnets...

NOT as old as I am now...:rolleyes:

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

its a good solution!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.