Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. darkmagistric

Found a much more informative video on the A940. Pen looks like it’s either AES or MPP........built in wireless phone charger to the mousepad holder is a nice touch.

The dial however is quite interesting since it’s built into the side....and it screws in via USB type A it seems....and has two separate dials and a pressable button.....I might just buy the dial on its own, could be a great little ExpressKey option for Surfaces.

thatcomicsguy, Marty and Steve B like this.
  3. mrpentastic

mrpentastic Pen Pal - Newbie

"Oddly, it uses Lenovo's first-generation Active Pen with 2,048 levels of sensitivity rather than the newer Active Pen 2 and its 4,096 levels."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...a940-wants-to-be-the-surface-studio-ces-2019/

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well that's stupid. Why bother with AES 1.0? But then again with all the confusion over the Lenovo's pens, I wouldn't coungt that as gospel yet.

I also love how none of these geniuses bothered to check what an "8th gen i7" actually is. Is it 8565U? 8750H? These A holes are perpetually useless covering this stuff.

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Love that 1986ish design of the computer portion.
    Will Lenovo ever hire a product designer or two?

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

7. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about the pricing on this...

The A940 is $2349 for the base specs (inferred from the datasheet) of 27" 2560x1440, unspecified 8th-gen Core i7, and RX 560, 8GB RAM, 128GB NVMe+1TB HDD.

Compared to the Surface Studio base price at $3499 for: 28" 4500x3000, i7-7820HQ, GTX1060GB, 16GB RAM, and 1TB NVMe.

That's a hell of a lot of skimping for the supposedly "better value" product.

Here's a comparison of how much vertical screen space you're losing (13.24" vs 15.53"):
    [​IMG]

Considering the relative component/chassis/screen quality, unless the processor and cooling on this is absolute top-notch, this seems more like a rip-off to me than "finally, a reasonably priced" Studio that it's being hailed as.

Azzart likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Aah, if I were a woman...
    No actually, I've just discovered that's from Okami on your avatar. Took me so little time to notice. :D

Marty likes this.
  9. darkmagistric

Actually I would make a counterpoint that the loss of vertical space is actually to the benefit of the A940. As much as I love the 2:3 Surface Aspect Ratio......on a 28-inch screen it really quickly becomes more of a burden in Studio mode. While I don't have the Surface Studio, l've logged enough time on one at my local Microsoft store......Trying to Access the file/edit toolbars as well as internet browser tabs....all which rest at the top of the display, are an utter chore to access when using the Studio since they are so high up.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Play more games :p ;)