Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Because it's a gaming machine.
    So they couldn't care less about a pen that's useless in this product and 4K that's not sustainable during gaming. :)

Shizaru likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...we might realistically expect a fully pen-enabled ROG slate within one generation...>>
    <<...Because it's a gaming machine...So they couldn't care less about a pen that's useless...>>

I was just about to make a similar comment but @Azzart beat me to it. And one more thought: It may resemble a surface, but at that size it's an all-in-one. I don't see Asus using it as a point of departure for a practical "gaming slate." You typically need the use of both hands to game, so you can't be holding it... at which point the current AiO form factor continues to be the form factor of choice...

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Think more in terms of a portable Surface Studio. You wouldn't hold it (unless you're crazy like me ;)), you'd set it down and it'd become your workstation.

Depending on feedback, adding an AES touch panel would hardly be out of the realm of feasibility; they already exist at 17".

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  4. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

A machine that powerful and also luggable could be useful for lots of different kinds of people. That kind of power makes the machine 'broadly' usable, not narrowly usable. I can understand really optimizing a machine for a narrow market segment when you need to optimize to meet that markets requirements. Of course you're not going to reach gamers with a machine that's optimized to be thin and light. But this thing is a beast! Why narrow the market like that?

5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like to look at the evolution of the Razer Blade series. At first it was marketed purely to gamers, but they soon realized its potential for the design crowd.

People asked for a touchscreen and they added one. People asked for higher resolution and color fidelity (beyond gaming use), and they added it.

Now even their own marketing language contains words like: "producing the best visuals for gaming, videos, and content creation".

So just wait for it, as long as the product gains some traction, the evolution into the content creation niche will be moved along by the market. The fact that ASUS even decided to put out this new form factor with such crazy hardware, is already boon for the whole industry. :thumbsup:

stoneseeker and YVerloc like this.
  6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It weights 3-4kg with probably the battery life of a ups. Who would take that monstrousity with him without being forced by someone else at gun point? :eek:
    Ok but it's a Rog (=republic of gamers) machine, why would they market something with that name for anything else?? o_O

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  8. YVerloc

a: I would. I've needed a luggable pro workstation /forever/.
    b: See the confusion here is between 'marketing for' and 'designing for'. Go ahead and market it for gamers. Market them all you like. But don't design it so that it can't be useful for other people. With a few simple tweaks they'd still be able to push it for gamers, they'd lose 0% of their target gamer market. They'd also GAIN a whole bunch of other customers who don't form a big enough or coherent enough market segment to get their own products designed and marketed for them. Upside, all upside. But by conflating 'who you design the machine for' and 'who you market the machine at' as if they are the same thing, you lose all those other potential customers.

Marty likes this.
  9. YVerloc

Hope you're right.

10. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mobile Ice Lake (i5-9xxxU) in Q2 2019? That's a surprise. I had heard that the new 10nm chips wouldn't show until the end of the year.

Edit: others still say it'll be late 2019 before actual devices are released.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    kurt corbin likes this.