Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

Nvidia's Turing mobile RTX 2000 series appears to be a nice bump over the previous Pascal GTX 1000 series. They're claiming a 40% efficiency improvement. In practical terms, a gaming laptop that could only have sufficient thermals for a GTX 1070 ti Max-Q can now put an RTX 2080 in there... and the guy said it performs better than a desktop GTX 1080.

Source (from about the 4 minute mark) :

If that follows through to the RTX 1050 ti Max-Q, the HP Spectre x360 15 OLED might include it and perform equal to a Surface Book 15 with the GTX 1060? And VR capable. Here's hoping! Worth waiting to find out. The RTX 2050 ti Max-Q won't show up in laptops until April.

Curiously, it seems the GTX 1050 and MX150 successors will remain on last gen Pascal architecture, so nothing exciting there, if that's true.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Is it just me, or does it look like 2019 is the year that the 2-in-1 died. Lots of big screens this year (though mostly 1080p! Wtf), lots of poweful discrete graphics based machines (Rtx 2080 max q), but so far not a single 2 in 1 or otherwise penabled machines other than the one at the head of the thread. Am I the only one who has a bad feeling about this?

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

stoneseeker and desertlap like this.
  6. Steve S

<<...does it look like 2019 is the year that the 2-in-1 died...>>

...Relax. Form factors wax and wane. It wasn't that long ago (well, OK, maybe almost ten years ago) that the slate form factor looked to be dead. Everyone started producing convertible tablets with nary a slate in sight. Today, convertibles just seem to be in vogue again.

Assuming that they fit people's lifestyle, and I think that they do, 2-in-1's will be back...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  7. Steve S

<<...Nvidia's Turing mobile RTX 2000 series appears to be a nice bump over the previous Pascal GTX 1000 series. They're claiming a 40% efficiency improvement...>>

...I haven't done any evaluations yet (still adding upgrades and software), but I can say that my RTX 2080 Ti appears to be tremendously fast...

dellaster likes this.
  8. dellaster

dellaster "Apple Fanboy" Senior Member

I have a feeling that they're waiting for the low-end RTX mobile cards to arrive for OEM production in late March before announcing. That would be the RTX 2050 ti variants and updated Pascal cards. Everything announced so far on the mobile side have been the RTX 2060 and up, which should arrive by the end of this month. Too hot and power hungry for thin 2-in-1s unless separated in the base like the Surface Book 15.

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I still see the GZ700 as an exciting development. The ROG line has never been about tablets, and yet here they are at a form factor so close, that we might realistically expect a fully pen-enabled ROG slate within one generation.

And what's more is they are bucking the trend with replaceable components: four SODIMMs slots and three m.2 slots (which they deliberately reallocated 8 PCIe lanes from the GPU, to make them all full x4 bandwidth! @2:20)

That's really incredible, and makes it the most internally expandable slate to date, to my knowledge.

And since the media is already calling it a suped-up Surface, it's only natural ASUS is going to receive some pressure/feedback to add pen/touch capability. One more iteration, might already see the 17" 'gaming slate' become a thing...this great news for TPCers. ;)