Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

That was definitely WD busy setting themselves up for the inevitable decline in spinning rust sales. WD have put out some very respectable NVMe SSD's. I almost went for one but opted for a Samsung 1TB EVO instead (playing safe).

Having had some issues with some WD Reds recently in my NAS I opted for some Seagate's as replacements. They offer more bang for the buck and have 3 year warranty on their OEM drives. A friend of mine also had some WD Reds fail within days of mine. None of which bodes well for the future of WD, especially if they have massive debts to service. R&D will be the first casualty if they are bogged down with debt.

Isn't there some connection between WD and Toshiba and HGST as well?

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I definitely saw Toshiba mentioned in the coverage of the musical chairs being played back in 2016 over this whole thing. I'm not sure what part they play now, though.

My favorite part was that a huge Chinese company (which I'd never heard of) was going to go in with WD and buy 15% of the SanDisk shares, but the various watchdog banking interests cried foul, (the explanation being straight up that the US didn't want China to have that much power in a domestic tech company).

The name of that Chinese company was, "Unisplendour".

-Which sounds marvelously dystopian in a Neil Stevenson kind of way.

Only the Chinese would come up with a pretend sounding name like that for an Earth flattening mega-corp!

Tams and Shizaru like this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Since CES is over, I figure it's ok to keep OTing this tread...>>

...*Sigh* I suppose that @Marty is right. Still, it seems like we're setting a poor example...!!

<<...Much to my surprise, I learned that they were bought by Western Digital...>>

...I was surprised when that went down, too. I had thought that SanDisk was well situated, business-wise, for flash memory products, but that market is apparently pretty fragile as illustrated by Micron / Lexar's exit and subsequent re-entry after they were bought out by Longsys. Regarding Toshiba, WD and Toshiba are "partnered," and went through some sort of legal battle last year regarding the intended sale of Toshiba's flash memory business (which WD opposed). ( https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/T...-plant-marks-fresh-start-with-Western-Digital ) An interesting quote:

"...Keeping up in the NAND field requires constant spending, and Samsung last year invested more than double the amount of Toshiba and Western Digital combined, IHS estimates..."

<<...WD have put out some very respectable NVMe SSD's...had some issues with some WD Reds recently...I opted for some Seagate's as replacements. They offer more bang for the buck...A friend...also had some WD Reds fail within days of mine. None of which bodes well for the future of WD...>>

...Regarding SSD's, my research tends to agree with @Shizaru 's comment. WD's Black SSD appears to have a modest (maybe 10%?) performance advantage over other top-tier SSDs. However, my guess is that the top performer is always shifting as each OEM improves their product.

Regarding HDs, my archival research suggests that WD HDs perform significantly more reliably than Seagate HDs. I don't have the article at hand, but one server farm user reported that Seagate HDs failed at a much higher rate than WD HDs. That and another article were persuasive enough that I recently returned a new Seagate HD and bought a WD Black HD to replace it (both HDs had similar warranties). Turns out that the WD HD was faster, too...

Shizaru likes this.
  4. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

I have read some of those reports in the past and iirc in the last one I read probably over a year ago HGST (WD and Hitachi brand/ties iirc) was winning in the reliability stakes. I haven't brought a Seagate drive since the 90's when they had that really bad reliability issue. I forget the details but it was on par with the Hitachi deathstar nightmare.

I not as confident in WD these days, so I took a punt. I'm seeing and hearing very mixed reports in the WD v Seagate debates. If WD are struggling to any degree the rot may have set in a couple of years ago and we are only now seeing the results of that pressure. That was part of my thinking and I also had a WD Red 4TB go bad two year ago just outside the one year warranty. I had brought it as an OEM so no three year warranty for me! That impacted my buying choice significantly this round.

I'm probably an edge case because I react very badly to bad experiences like that. I had a Philips cdr once (they cost big bucks at the time), when there was a change in the cd die material. Philips refused to release a firmware update to allow the drive to use the new material. Effectively rendering the device useless, because compatible disks (including their own brand) became unavailable within months. I burnt about 50 disks and then it was a paper weight. Ever since I have never brought a Philips product - not so much as a light bulb, and I have no intentions of changing my stance! In fact I go out of my way to discourage anyone buying Philips products for that and other ethical/political reasons.

I always vote with my feet and wallet...fool me once shame on me...blar blar. Here's looking at you Wacom and the £1700 Companion 1 let down! NEVER FORGET.

Oh and then there was the Seagate green debacle which had a serious impact on their reputation. Almost forgot about that. Humm I hope my choice doesn't end badly.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...WD's Black SSD appears to have a modest (maybe 10%?) performance advantage over other top-tier SSDs. However, my guess is that the top performer is always shifting as each OEM improves their product...>>

And just like that, the tables turn again; Samsung's 970 EVO+ is now the SSD to beat:

https://www.windowscentral.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-ssd-review

(Courtesy of WindowsCentral site)

Shizaru likes this.