Vegas baby, 2019 (CES)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 4, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Ahhh. At 1:50 the user brings up a point which may be the driving concern which pushed Samsung to go with an AES stylus on their new edition of the Notebook 9 Pro.

-That is, no remote wifi button on the pen to activate onboard features from afar. That may have been enough of a lack in Samsung's marketing eyes to push them to come up with a solution of some sort.

And THAT might not have occluded a Wacom EMR layer. Which is to say that there may still be EMR capability in the new iteration.

Fingers crossed! (Though, the Notebook 9 Pen being what it is, looks like a fairly solid machine to carry the EMR torch forward. It looks like a nearly identical copy of the N9P, but in blue and with updated ports).

The only thing I'd need is for SanDisk to make one of their Extreme Pro thumb drives in USB C!

batty likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The only thing I'd need is for SanDisk to make one of their Extreme Pro thumb drives in USB C!..>>

...Don't know if you've noticed, but SanDisk may have a problem with their higher-end flash memory sticks. There are a disturbing number of reports of abrupt failures in some of their customer reviews. And I think I know why; thermal failures, possibly brought on by lengthy or sequentially repeated data set writes. However there also appear to be failures that result from simply leaving the sticks plugged in. That's particularly troubling...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Lisa has put up her thoughts and purchasing conclusions from CES. Definitely worth a gander.

4. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Heh. I was an early adopter; there weren't any reviews up when I bought mine. And today they cost half as much as what I paid. (Around $120 Can-bux for a 128 Gb version).

A lot of complaints have accumulated from people experiencing failures out of the box, as well as from overheating killing them within a couple of months.

I've had mine since mid-2017, and it still works fine, with excellent speeds.

But I rarely do much more than short read/saves of relatively small files, (CSP documents and text files and such), -along with the occasional video drag and drop.

I notice that it can get quite warm to the touch, but not what I'd call hot. I think I might be a good use case. If you were running movies and really large files continuously off the thing, then it sounds like it gets very hot. One guy said the plastic parts on his started to deform due to heat! Yow.

Fingers crossed on mine. -I should start thinking about replacing it anyway, actually. I've given myself around a two-year use limit for memory sticks, and I must be coming up on that. Time flies!

6. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So with CES fever winding down, what's everyone's outlook on the tablet PC space?

I'm personally rather pleasantly shocked at the trends I'm seeing:

1) Gaming PCs have progressed from merely chasing the thin-and-light mobile PC industry to redefining it. The GZ700 and Triton 900 are now driving a new class of gaming PC that is incorporating tablet form-factors, while traditional laptops offer the very pinnacle of mobile performance in svelte, minimal-bezel chassis. The GZ700 and Area 51m are also bringing back desktop-class parts to the portable space—with an eye towards component upgreadeability. Craziness.

2) Large OLED screens seem to hitting 2-in-1 market in force and convertibles seem to be embracing the pen by default. The refreshed Spectre 15 x360 and Yoga C730 are tantalizing, while even new 2-in-1s, like the LG Gram 14, now come ready with pen support. Combined with little innovations like the "pen cubby" in Dell's latest Inspiron 7000, this marks the first year the majority of OEMs are treating the pen-enabled convertible as a design priority, perhaps signaling—finally!—its acceptance as a mainstream form-factor.

I'm super stoked.

I expected another boring CES year as a TPCer, but instead I see the possibility of dream machines like a 4K OLED MSP16 refresh, and pen-enabled devices with gaming-grade internals on the horizon.

I already got my wallet on holster...cuz something is definitely going to suck me in soon. ;)

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

From the specs sheet: "The Yoga C730 (15" AMOLED) offers 3.4 million colors—that’s 1.7 times more color volume than standard LCD displays"

Does nobody in marketing have the slightest clue about display color? Standard displays are 8-bit-per-channel RGB, that's 16.7 million colors (as long as the delta-E between bits is more than the JND). Assuming they mean that a standard LCD display has 2 million colors (3.4M/1.7) it means they're using a 7-bit display (2M) with some sort of one-channel FRC. That would be UGLY and TERRIBLE. I hope it's an error. 7-bit is a huge step back and people will complain about the color banding all the time.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt the reason why they switched to AES for one device was at all related to omitting the Bluetooth in the S-pen. From my understanding.....using it as a remote shutter is really the only useful thing you can do with the Bluetooth s-pen.......which for a phone is sufficent since a lot of people use their phones as their main camera. Given how frequent I solo travel....that’s a feature I would definitely use on a note 9 if I had it....but for a laptop use....I can’t ever really imagine using that feature with a laptop. Maybe for start/pausing a power point presentation if your presenting on on your laptop or connected to it, but overall the benefit of having it on a laptop just pales to having it on a phone.

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Assuming it is the same panel as the HDR-capable one that HP's using, it would be a minimum of 8bpc native.

You can see this from the DisplayHDR official spec under "Bit Depth of Display Performance":
    [​IMG]

My guess, someone at Lenovo marketing just messed up the spec, badly :p.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

No EMR no contest.

thatcomicsguy and DRTigerlilly like this.