Valve Steam Deck Official Thread

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by sonichedgehog360, Jul 15, 2021.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

You can guarantee that I am in for one! Technically, it is running SteamOS 3.0, a Linux Arch-based distro with KDE Plasma, so this is not a Windows gaming handheld. But according to Gabe Newell, you install whatever OS you want on it too including Windows.

Official Page:

Steam Deck (steampowered.com)

IGN Exclusive Reveal:

News:

Steam Deck is Valve’s Switch-like portable PC, starting at $399 this December | Ars Technica

[​IMG]

Official website:
    Steam Deck (steampowered.com)

Tech Specs
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Speeds and Feeds
    Compute
    Processor
    AMD APU
    CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
    GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
    APU power: 4-15W
    RAM
    16 GB LPDDR5 RAM (5500 MT/s)
    Storage
    64 GB eMMC (PCIe Gen 2 x1)
    256 GB NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
    512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4)
    All models include high-speed microSD card slot
    Controls and Input
    Gamepad controls
    A B X Y buttons
    D-pad
    L & R analog triggers
    L & R bumpers
    View & Menu buttons
    4 x assignable grip buttons
    Thumbsticks
    2 x full-size analog sticks with capacitive touch
    Haptics
    HD haptics
    Trackpads
    2 x 32.5mm square trackpads with haptic feedback
    55% better latency compared to Steam Controller
    Pressure-sensitivity for configurable click strength
    Gyro
    6-Axis IMU
    Display
    Resolution
    1280 x 800px (16:10 aspect ratio)
    Type
    Optically bonded LCD for enhanced readability
    Display size
    7" diagonal
    Brightness
    400 nits typical
    Refresh rate
    60Hz
    Touch enabled
    Yes
    Sensors
    Ambient light sensor
    Connectivity
    Bluetooth
    Bluetooth 5.0 (support for controllers, accessories and audio)
    Wi-Fi
    Dual-band Wi-Fi radio, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, 2 x 2 MIMO, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
    Audio
    Channels
    Stereo with embedded DSP for an immersive listening experience
    Microphones
    Dual microphone array
    Headphone / mic jack
    3.5mm stereo headphone / headset jack
    Digital
    Multichannel audio via DisplayPort over USB-C, standard USB-C, or Bluetooth 5.0
    Power
    Input
    45W USB Type-C PD3.0 power supply
    Battery
    40Whr battery. 2 - 8 hours of gameplay
    Expansion
    microSD
    UHS-I supports SD, SDXC and SDHC
    External connectivity for
    controllers & displays
    USB-C with DisplayPort 1.4 Alt-mode support; up to 8K @60Hz or 4K @120Hz, USB 3.2 Gen 2
    Size and Weight
    Size
    298mm x 117mm x 49mm
    Weight
    Approx. 669 grams
    Software
    Operating System
    SteamOS 3.0 (Arch-based)
    Desktop
    KDE Plasma

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    Marty, daddyfish and dellaster like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

This is the kind of device I would want to see succeed even if I wasn’t getting one myself (I do currently plan to). It paves the way for gaming to leave Windows behind which needs to be done since MS/Windows is leaving PC gaming behind—or rather heading towards walling up gaming within their Xbox garden.

It’s going to have a dock or alternatively any existing USB-C dock will work. So keyboard, mouse, and larger display will be an option just like the Nintendo Switch. When I owned a Switch I often though that it would be great if it ran Windows games (Steam) instead of being limited to what Nintendo thought should be allowed on it. And here we go!

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I like that idea of the 2 touchpads, seems flexible and a bit like the Steam Controller.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've alluded to this in another thread, but I should definitely be the target market for this. I have a huge Steam library, but I end up playing more Switch games because of the convenience of the thing. Being able to play games handheld with the TV on in the background is a major use case for me. On paper this is perfect for me.

And if this thing was launched 4-5 years ago, I'd have been on board right away. But at the same time, I've rebought a bunch of my favorite indie games on the Switch. My cellphone can now stream any of my Steam games with pretty good performance whether on Wifi or 5G, and now it can even stream a growing number of Xbox games directly from the cloud.

And then I look at the size of the device. I understand the differences in the Steam Deck being an x86 PC, but my Switch with Joy-cons is about 400 grams. This is 1.5x that at 669 grams. The Switch's removable controllers mean it fits easily in my daybag or my travel bag, at 203mm wide without the Joy-cons. This thing is 298mm wide. It's literally wider than my 13" Surface Pro X which is 287mm wide. Hell, the Steam Deck is even in the ballpark of the same weight as the Pro X, which is 774 grams - though admittedly over 1kg with the keyboard.

I understand it's more powerful than the Switch or my Surface. But it's a hard sell when phones are getting better and better at doing this stuff all the time, whether streaming or natively. But I will probably put the $5 deposit down anyway tomorrow in case I change my mind before December.

sonichedgehog360 and Tams like this.
  5. dellaster

I’m looking at this as if it’s a game-playing NUC that happens to have a display so that I can couch-play stuff. Same as the Switch, but that had limited games of interest to me, ditto iOS & Android stores, and even if something I liked was streamable I wouldn’t be able to add mods, thus of no interest to me. (My copy of Skyrim on the Switch went unplayed... no, wait, I was actually somewhat intelligent for once and didn’t bother buying it for the Switch.)

I’m a niche gamer, I know. But it looks like maybe the Steam Deck suits my preferences. We’ll see. :p

Edit: as for others who are happy with the Nintendo Switch, it’s understandable that they wouldn’t see much value in the heavier, larger, more expensive Deck. Unless they have money to burn.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  6. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, Steam Link streams from your own PC, so you can mod to your heart's content on a gaming PC, then stream that directly to a phone.

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, interesting idea, that gives me another idea -> install Windows on it and it can double as a HTPC (Netflix, disney+, amazon prime, GOG, Epic etc.). Its basically what I do for my mini-pc but this is portable and as cheap. The touchpads can allow for a precise mouse pointer and optionally you can let Steam startup in Big Picture mode I believe.

sonichedgehog360 and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

That would eliminate half my desire for a device like the Deck: energy efficiency. Being on solar + batteries means I’m on an everlasting quest to reduce the power required for gaming, or to increase performance while keeping power usage the same.

9. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm more interested in it as a mini PC. Being almost as powerful as some newest GPD Win mini pc and cost half the price? With official backing of a big company? The first time I heard of this I thought it was too good to be true.

daddyfish and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I shared the same sentiments when this was in the rumor stages. Valve has been notorious for not following through with their projects, but I am glad to see this materialized. By the way, the GPU is arguably more powerful than the GPD Win 3's Core 7-1185G7 since it is using Navi2. Navi2 has double the performance per watt of Vega. All AMD APUs released until now, which already hold their own and either equal or outpace Xe in graphics performance, currently use just Vega. So with upgrade to Navi 2, the Steam Deck's integrated GPU is going to be a beast compared to Xe. Furthermore, to eliminate any bandwidth starving, the Steam Deck uses LPDDR5-5500 meaning 30% more memory bandwidth than the closest rival handheld PCs which use only LPDDR4X-4266. So with a faster and more efficient GPU and more memory bandwidth, this will translate to significantly higher sustained graphics performance. As for the CPU portion of the Steam Deck's APU being "just" Zen 2, games really don't need more than a low-end quad-core for 720P gaming.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    daddyfish and dellaster like this.