VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dude, Fungus, are you trying to run up your post count or something? It's hard to keep track of your questions and concerns when they're spread around 57 different posts.

2. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

It's only the last six posts due to not getting any response.
    I have it as separate posts due to encountering different issues at different dates.
    I found another user here who is having the exact same problem I've been describing.
    Link below:

3. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Is there a pen/stylus driver I can disable within the device manger to eliminate the phantom touch phenomenon. Disabling the touch display driver doesn't help.

4. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

just out of curiosity is the phantom touch windows 10 related only.
    If so I'm thinking of returning back to the original OS that is windows 8 as I have the Japanese version.
    I contacted Vaio japan and they recommended me use the recovery media, then apply the migration tool.
    The only thing I'm worried about is will I be able to retain all my programs and data.
    The phantom touch is getting worse and worse and I haven't even used the pen at all.

5. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't say I'm very pleased with the Vaio canvas performance
    Besides the phantom touch issues, I've notice in google chrome, switching tabs sometimes take a second or more and the fans turn on whenever I'm steaming a video regarding of quality.

6. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe you should return the device Fungus. Based on your ridiculous number of posts, I think the Z Canvas isn't for you!

7. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm having a problem where when using the included charger, the system draws power fasten then it chargers during heavy use?
    I only have 20 tabs open in Chrome while rendering in key shot. When this happens, the fans spin up to max, CPU temperature shows reaches between 90-93 degrees and the battery slowly goes down.
    Is this normal?

Also a new phenomenon has occurred related to the phantom touch issue where the cursor will now also get stuck in the top left corner. Whats' worse is when this happens, any touch input is unresponsive. Usually when it's stuck on the top right corner, touch input with my fingers take priority.

Can anyone confirm if this happens with windows 8?

8. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

As I am a owner of the canvas, I have researched it a lot as its been my favorite computer Iv owned. Check this link out, is it doing something like this?

I have not had any issues where the crossover(I made up a new word to describe what type of PC is both a tablet and a laptop) is drawing more power then is being consumed. It does happen to laptops though, I think the Microsoft book had this issue if I remember correctly. I would make a image of your entire Operation system with aomei backupper(its free and works), then try doing a factory reset of everything and rerun some tests to simulate the power draw your experiencing. I do not run this crossover though to its limits as that seems to be its achilles heal, its more for pleasure then a locomotive workhorse. I haven't had any issues with my canvas yet to warrant not giving it 5 starts so far. Just a replaced keyboard from me cleaning it to much with isopropy(knock on wood cause this thing can be more finicky then a Mercedes from reading other peoples horror stories). I suppose Iv been fairly lucky when it comes to catastrophic hardware meltdowns with all my laptops I have owned so I cant give you specific advice like a electrical engineer might be able to but I know from experience reading forums about the majority of problems like this that can occur. So as far as the power consumption is concerned, rule out software to start with, I suppose buying a new power adapter might be of some interest here as well. Ask around about that specific problem maybe on notebookreview forum, its the father site of this.

As for the jumping cursor, its been documented that it can occur on this crossover computer. Their is re calibration software in both Microsoft OS and vaio software. If you type in calibrate in the windows 10 search box, it will bring up a pen calibration item. Try them both, after that rule out software for that as well, you can kill two birds with one stone by checking both charging and cursor problems. I suppose first try going into safe mode and see if you can recreate either problems, if you cant I would highly suggest a reinstall of the OS. Also, correct me if Im wrong engineers but if something got out of tune magnetically, you could possibly take it some where to have it demagnetized, although I dont know if that is a possible solution to a broken touch screen. I know watch makers can demagnetize mechanical watches that have been magnetized when the watch out of sink because its been magnetized,its a real thing. If all else fails, talk to a watch dealer and see if they can try demagnetizing your crossover pc the canvas.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  9. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Japanese unit that comes factory installed with 8.1.
    Due to the phantom touch issue and fan issues, I want to perform a factory reset to 8.1 with the original driver and pr-installed software, however there is not option in the "reset your pc". It should how up in the 3rd option.
    There is only two option available in "set this pc" window
    1) Keep my files
    2) Remove everything
    I contacted Vaio Japan and they said use the recovery media.
    Where do I get it from and what exactly does it do?

10. phyc

phyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like I am the first user who teardown the vaio z canvas. Using for more than 3 years, still in good performance. Hope that new Gen. of VZC coming soon. :)

stormi and Marty like this.