VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Marty, how often does the phantom touch issue occur again after performing the ad-hoc calibration you described in your other post cos for me right now without performing your procedure, I'm getting issues ever few minutes if using the pen. Using a mouse/ trckpad happen randomly during 20mins to 3 sessions.

Draining a battery complete dead reduces the overall lifespan

2. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Have the phantom touches/grounding issue been reported on all canvas z models?
    To me, it seems like if one has it, it can't be completely eliminated and will always come back

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know for everyone, but for me it varies. If it's having a bad day, no amount of calibration works. Most days though, it goes away after about 1-2 hours and haven't had it happen in the last 3-4 months.

No, @Steve S model works just fine and I think @surfaceproartist hasn't experienced anything that I know of. However, it seems to be fairly widespread.

Yeah, pretty much just learn the pattern of your particular unit and see what works. It's usually some combination of the workarounds I posted, but no sure-fire method that I've found.

EDIT: I intend to post a more complete guide to this issue, but can't give an ETA on that. It's complex problem with lots of anecdotes/trial-and-error to parse through.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...No, @Steve S model works just fine...>>

...I can confirm that I haven't had any cursor problems...

5. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

It seems like Steve S is the only one who doesn't.
    Can anyone confirm if the ram is removable or soldered on?

6. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

The dreaded cursor wouldn't have exists if the Vaio brand was owned by Sony.
    No wonder their current line of products aren't selling well.

7. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

CPU-z is displaying my CPU as i7-4702hq and crystal well architecture
    Shouldn't it be an i7-4770hq and Haswell?

Attached Files:

8. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Can somebody confirm if the bottom USB 3.1 port has the 100W Power Delivery feature?

9. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

It's a huge disappointment that the 3.0 fast charge port only delivers up to 500mA current.
    My 3.0 ss port is even worse approx 200aH.
    I can confirm this because I used a USB a 2.0 to type c and a USB a 3.1 gen 2 to type c date cable to charge my LG g6 and it takes the same about of time, approx 3 hours with the fast charge port and 6 hours with the standard 3.0 ss port
    Data transfer is much improved at nearly 4x faster with the usb a 3.1 gen 2 to type c data cable.

10. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

still can't resolve the phantom touch issue to a level where it's at a usable state when using the stylus.
    Touching the casing when plugged in mades no difference.
    Turning up up the screen brightness and draining away the battery did not work though it did help prevent the phantom touch from appearing from a solid 3 days of use with an external mouse.
    I still think because the phantom touch shows up when using an external mouse shows this is an isolated issue.
    Would taking the display apart and adding some sort of material help solve the issue for good?
    I think it's more of a bug or driver issue than the grounding issue since I don't even have to be touching the display with my finders or stylus for the curse to get stuck on the top right corner.

P.S. I've set display to duplicate in projects 9 (windows+P) plus disabled windows Ink workplace. Will report back if this will fix the issue for good.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018