VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. tomin

tomin Pen Pal - Newbie

That is perfect thanks. Looks like the network card got borked during shipping.

2. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

How easy is it to access the internals?
    Is the display and rear metal housing held together by clips, glued or screwed on? I cant find any screws to remove?
    I've already notice the edge of the displays as lifting a bit so was wondering to know if there's any way to get the display flush with the housing again.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh boy ... I'd do some research buddy. There a are teardown posts here, sorry don't know the links. At the rate you're going blindly you'll be snapping that ribbon cable in no time.

4. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

display is lifting likely because the battery is puffing (I would assume that it's the top right corner that's lifting?)... it wont be flush again without a new battery... and new batteries are not available except from Vaio, and they wont sell them directly, and they want ~$1000 "at least" (their words) to fix it.

5. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

You mean the teardown post is within this thread?

I don't think it's the battery puffing up coz it's only lifting a little, say half an mm from 3 corners but if I look closely, there is a gap.
    Wow, $1,000 for a battery replacement from Vaio. The entire unit itself won't even cost that much these days.

Also, the top left button where it's supposed to deactivate touch where it only works with the stylus isn't working. Do I need to assign the button and if so where? I searched and there is no Vaio centre or similar software preinstall.
    Same goes for the right top button, how do I assign it to do what I want
    This is a used unit and was wiped clean by the previous owner.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...This is a used unit and was wiped clean by the previous owner...>>

...The VAIO drivers were likely not reinstalled. Go to the Z Canvas download page where you will find the available updates:

https://us.vaio.com/support/kb/vaio-z-canvas-software-drivers/

You will find the original VAIO drivers there as well as the Button Control update. Be sure to follow the directions closely.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<…You mean the teardown post is within this thread?..>>

See post # 66 in this discussion thread for some guidance on opening the Z Canvas:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/how-to-replace-swollen-battery-on-vaio-z-canvas.72519

Note that opening the ZC is not for the faint hearted and that it is relatively easy to damage some of the internal connection cables. If you elect to do this be very cautious!

I believe that there is another set of comments and pictures about disassembly in this thread, but I don't have the time to track them down now...

8. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Including the preinstalled bluetooth drivers?

9. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just installed all the Vaio drivers and now having issues with a mouse connected two either of the USB port.
    After using it for a while the mouse cursor will suddenly get stuck in the top right corner and starts jittering.
    When this happens, I've tried swapping mouses but doesn't change so I know it's not the mouse.
    I then tried restarting but after a few minutes after login, this behaviour reoccurs again.
    The only to make it go away for longer is to shut down the whole system.
    Is there a driver I should try installing to solve this issue?
    Should I download driver boost to update the drivers?

10. Fungus

Fungus Pen Pal - Newbie

Upon further inspection, the cursor turns into a small rhumbus with lines extended a bit from the edges on each corner.
    It doesn't' move I leave the mouse still.
    It seems a particualr funtction is turning on without me knowing
    It seems this phenomenon occurs with the trackpad as well.
    What' going on?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018