VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Probably placebo. There's limited documentation on what that actually does anyway.

2. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

something in windows likes to make the cursor hang for micro seconds, it did it on win 8 as well with my taichi. I messed around with hyper-v but I never got it started for one reason or another. I didnt feel like disabling secure boot in the bios but weather that has any effect with hyper-v I dont think. From my understanding i was hearing somewhere on this forum or some where hyper v is unable to run on the canvas unless someone else can chime in on that, I wanted to test ubuntu 16 with it, weather ubuntu can run on hyper v as well i dont know. maybee just windows OS's can take advantage of hyper v.
    I figure testing ubuntu on the canvas to see if its any smoother, I could just partition the drive I guess but I dunno how well ntrig is suited to ubuntu, im sure not well.

3. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey jbaks,

There might be a registry key or scheduled task you may have to disable along with disabling the memory compression feature..sorry if I did actually leave that out of my original message, It's been a while since I've done it, I wanted to test it out before I posted my results here. Anyways, I will look into that as soon as this Quake Champions Beta Testing is over :)

As far as your particular pen latency issues: I saw one of your ealier comments about having coil whine while you use the pen...hopefully you don't have a hardware problem that none of these software solutions can fix. But in any case you can try to turn off the press and hold to right click with the pen feature in the "pen and touch" settings via control panel, that helped a ton with pen registration in photoshop mostly and everything else. Also change the batteries if you haven't already.

I will try to type all my optimazions and how to check latency in your drivers and more when I have some time. That way you may have a better judgement regarding a placebo effect. When you know everthing is running as it should, problematic things become more aparent IMO. Cheers!

4. BadArtist

[Edit] Hyper V has a small performance hit on any system when initiated in bios so you might want to monitor your pen responsiveness while it's activated.]

I really want to find a linux distro with an optismed gnome or plasma kde desktop for touchscreen/pen devices. I tried opensuse leap(the latest one) and although it worked, getting to a virtual keyboard on the desktop or on a web browser was cumbersome. I heard Mint Cininman was good for the surface pro, or you can try a distro with a newer linux kernel ex. Ubuntu or Fedora, Arch will for sure get you there if you know what ur doing.

I'm going to take a risk and install an un-publised alpha version of kde moblie that kde are releasing for phones and tablets(10" and lower). If it scales well and the apps work, then I'm sure it's going to be very touch friendly. I'll post my results. Cheers!

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Marty likes this.
  5. jbaks

Its windows, its been doing it since windows 8, there is a background tasks that gets in the way of the n-trig drivers and cause it to micro lag once in awhile. Its not an issue its more of a nuisance.

I have no coil wine and I don't want to get it.

Yea IV worked with dozens of linux distros, they all have the uniqueness to them.

p.s. try using your canvas on high power settings and unplug it, then use edge on some media websites like youtube or just on this forum with one finger swipe scrolling for 15 or 20 minutes. Does it ever mistake the one finger swipe to scroll for a touch input making unwanted clicks?

6. BadArtist

No it doesn't. Sounds like you may have the touch-hold to right click setting time too short. Or if its doing a "left click" then there may be a problem with your screens touch calibration, driver or the actual screen itself(did you buy it used or refurbished? I have a pen detection delay issue every so often with my refurbished model so I'm trying to catch a pattern if there is one. I have another theory for the pen detction issue but I'll save that for another post.)

If you want to try calibrating your screen, go to C:/programfiles86/vaio/ntrig/calibration and click NtrigMTMcalib.exe

If that doesn't work then try re-installing the driver coressponding to the touch screen found on vaio's website or do a windows restore/re-installation.

Cheers

7. jbaks

No badartist it was brand new never used. Everything works perfect on it and I'm very happy with it, its just one issue iv ran into. I don't think your understanding me correctly. This has nothing to do what so ever with right click just so were clear.

It doesn't have anything to do with ntrig either.

Iv already calibrated the screen using the windows software which didn't do anything at all except exacerbate the issue.

I dunno if you didnt see my other thread I started in this forum but Iv explained the issue clearly in it, its recent.

I don't want hear my new canvas is broken cause I'm enjoying it as I'm an avid drawer and painter and beside the issue iv explained everything is working great *knocks on wood*

Any ways Iv got a Taichi that has windows 8 and it was brand new when I bought it as well, it does the exact same thing I'm describing. You have to sit down with them and use it for fifteen or twenty minutes and use it as I describe to see if your machine is doing it or not. You have to have it set up and be looking for it to notice it. I'm fairly certain its a windows thing. I'm just going to have to download and get vmware working some how without paying the hundreds of dollars they want for a stupid subscription as iv been using it for a long time on all my other machines, the last I checked they wanted a crap ton of money now to use it and install Ubuntu and check out the browser on it. I'm pretty sure it wont do it, its some windows issue I'm willing to bet but I could be wrong.

Since I cant get Ubuntu to work with hyper-v, has anyone got Ubuntu to work or any Linux for that matter to work using windows 10 hyper-v. Can anyone chime in on if that is even possible to use Linux with hyper v. Thanks

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. SeaKayakerSki

SeaKayakerSki Pen Pal - Newbie

Vaio Z Canvas Computer is dead... Will not turn on... Power cords good... Will not charge... Suggestions... Options?

9. jbaks

how old is it and how did u use it

10. BadArtist

Mine won't charge but will turn on when plugged in...do you have the same problem?

If so I know some sources you can read and fix it..I just haven't had the time to fix mine yet.