VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. jbaks

jbaks Scribbler - Standard Member

It has come to my attention after looking into buying a used Z Canvas that there is coil whine whilst slowly using the ntrig digitizer, AFAIK its the only time that the coil whine is happening. Here is the test. Now why would that be, Iv got multiple devices with different stylus technology and I never hear any sound when im painting/drawing/note taking. At the 50/57 second marks, especially the 57 second mark its extremely loud the coal whine it is, very loud indeed.

Hey could some owners chime in on coil whine and if they have noticed any on there machines.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

My device also has coil whine which sometimes happens when on the balanced power plan. Sometimes barely noticeable, sometimes maybe as loud as in the vid.
    P.s.: my keyboard also has noticeable coil whine...

3. jbaks

does it happen just on balance profile?

4. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

It doesn't happen on the energy save profile but I'm not sure about the performance profile. I mostly use balanced.

5. hipno515

hipno515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just connected Wacom cintiq pro 16 to my zcanvas. Whilst the screen on the Wacom isn't as clear and sharp as the zcanvas, nevertheless the extra screen real estate makes a huge difference! Colours are more subdued on the matt screen and after many hours of use, no eye fatigue. No 4k at 60Hz because zcanvas hasn't USB-C but thankfully it has micro DP 1.2. There is no discernable lag or latency. The zcanvas with its Haswell i7 seems to revel in all that is thrown at it and the fans just murmur in the background. Totally impressed

surfaceproartist likes this.
  6. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice! What version of photoshop do you have? I have the 2015 CC version and it runs ok but I want to see if the 2017 version apllied any performance upgrades.

I have the 8gb ram model though and I'm sure my non m.2 nvme ssd is holding me back on scratch disk speed as well..:-#expensive times :-(

7. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys just wanted to post an overall system and photoshop speed improvment by disabling memory page combining via powershell. When you do it, you will notice a constant process in your task manager called memory compression(or similar) will go away and actions you do with the pen will be snappier as well as rendering large images because less I/O goes towards memory compression. If you plan to do this with the 8gb vzc and you do a lot of video editing or other high ram consuming apps thenI don't know if this will be a good decision for you.

Here's a link to show you how to do it: https://v-reality.info/2014/07/memory-page-sharing-windows-82012/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    jbaks likes this.
  8. jbaks

thx for this ill give it a try, windows likes to hang my stylus for micro seconds all the time while browsing, anyone that browses with there stylus 100% of the time might know what im talking about.

9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just disabled this as well. Will see what happens and if it fixes the constant issue of the pen not registering when taking notes in class.

10. jbaks

doesnt seem like it makes difference