VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's a small discovery/tip:

I recently settled on bumping the pen behavior back to the Win8.1 days by disabling touch input when the pen is in range (it's in pen settings), and don't think I'll be going back to the default way for the foreseeable future. The megaton I wasn't aware of until now, though, is that the Vaio shortcut menu still works(!). It still responds to touch commands! Which happens to be exactly what I needed! I don't know if this was by accident or foresight on the part of Vaio devs, but it has lead to an overall improved comfort for me, since I was previously a little constrained in the way I could hold the pen without accidentally registering touch inputs with my wrist (even though I have it set for my hand orientation). Try it out, see if it improves your workflow.

Marty likes this.
  2. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone figured out how to disable Vaio Clipping Tool? I use ShareX which is a really awesome piece of freeware for screen clipping, screen recording, etc. It really is awesome. Anyways, I have my SP4 pen mapped with AutoHotkey to do a number of things.

When I place the eraser close to the display (not touching but floating above it, even for a quarter second), it launches the Vaio Clipping Tool which is getting really annoying. On another forum for older Sony Vaios, someone said to navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Corporation\VAIO Control Center\VAIO Clip\Startup and change the values to off.

I navigated to the similar area on the Z Canvas (Vaio Corporation\Vaio Clipping Tool\Startup, but there are no similar values to change to off. I also read when someone uninstalled Vaio Clipping Tool it just started giving them an error instead of removing the functionality, so I'm hesitant to just uninstall the program.

Curious if anyone has found a way to disable it.

Update: Simple fix; instead of uninstalling the program I just moved the entire Vaio Clipping Tool folder out of Program Files and backed it up just in case I want to replace it later. No error when I hold the pen to the screen.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had a similar problem where my palm was sometimes activating tools in CSP (and sometimes hitting the Windows button).

The way I solved it was by dragging the VAIO Pencil Board to the edge of the screen, covering the toolbar. (In the VAIO settings, when you set the "Windows Touch Button" to "On" it will disable the windows button when the Pencil Board is active.)

Here's a screenshot of my CSP workspace:

[​IMG]

Everything below the red "VAIO pencil board" label is protected from touch (I'm a lefty ;)).

If I ever need to extend the touch-protected region further into the canvas, I can quickly pull the gray rectangle to the right (Pencil Board positioning bar), giving me a wider palm region.

I find this setup is especially good for drawing in portrait mode, because it maximizes screen area, while still giving me unobstructed access to all my tools. :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    neongolden likes this.
  4. Mr. Boosh

So overall, I'm enjoying the experience of my ZC now as my single device. I jumped the gun back in August when I had the 512GB and ended up selling it saying it wouldn't work for school based on battery life.

After 2 weeks, there hasn't been a day that I've come close to running out of battery at class. I've come close to 50% after using it from 8a-12p, but during lunch I live super close so I go home and throw it on the charger.

I have it connected to my 2x1080p monitors using a Plugable USB 3.0 DisplayLink docking station. It's working well, the only issue is I'm dealing with some of the scaling issues that are just inherent to Windows. I've never docked a tablet like this, so it's my first time figuring it out. I decided to make my top left monitor the main display when plugged in, and the scaling is set at 100%. After fooling around and adding some custom resolutions, I just decided to keep the ZC at standard 2560x1704. On the ZC I keep my emails and text messages (Hangouts) open at all times which is nice and requires a lot less switching of screens then I did before. Since they're both Chrome based, I just keep them at 110% zoom and the text is perfectly usable from where I'm sitting.

DSC_0075.JPG

I'm noticing a little bit of performance decrease coming from the desktop I'm trying to sell (i7-4770K overclocked to 4.6GHz), but I think the compromise is worth it.

It's nice to have 2 instances of OneNote open so I can study by drawing diagrams and have the already filled in one on the other display. I was doing this before with my desktop and tablet, but I was constantly dealing with syncing issues.

I wouldn't steer anyone away from the ZC as a daily use machine, just as long as you can top up charge throughout the day. I bought a second charger but I haven't even had to use it yet.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Marty and stormi like this.
  5. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

I also figured that out after I replaced my T902 with the Z Canvas as desktop replace that Windows doesn't work very well with displays running at different scaling settings... Just because of that I also replaced my 24" 1920*1200 px display with a 27" 4k one, just the right size and resolution to run both at 150% scaling without stuff getting to small or big on the external screen.

6. Mr. Boosh

Yea, I like the two monitor solution rather that a single widescreen one, so I don't know what I'm going to do. It's not too bad the way it is right now, but on the monitors some of the display dialogues are comically large, pretty much the size a 90 year old practically blind person would be running.

7. Model

Model Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone of you using the Canvas in some kind of 'case', where the keyboard is kind of included and fixed to the tablet? Similar to this IPad Pro keyboard. The lack of 'lap-abilitiy' is the only thing which prevents me from pulling the trigger on the Canvas... (a skylake/kaby lake update seems not to happen in the next few months, so...)

8. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys, does anyone know what model cpu the Wacom MobileStudio Pro has or know if it has 4 cores like the ZC?

Thnx

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...does anyone know what model cpu the Wacom MobileStudio Pro has...>>

...A quick search seems to indicate that the Pro 13 and Pro 16 use the Intel Core i5-6267U and Intel Core i7-6567U processors which are both dual core. I see no indication that Wacom offers a quad-core option.

Passmark ratings:
    • i5-6267U: 4918 (Multi-core rating)
    • i7-6567U: 5599
    • i7-4770HQ: 8918

10. Mr. Boosh

Man, I spoke way to soon over the summer.

I really love this machine. Even though active digitizers are nice, many times I get pissed off at unintended palm touches and touchscreen movement. I'm finding I turn off the touch display a lot, especially when filling in all the diagrams with intricate details for my anatomy class. Really enjoying that feature.