VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I just wanted to know if I would notice any pen performance gains if I installed the lastest ntrig(or wintab I'm confused) driver...>>

...I'm not sure that anyone on this forum has tried this; at least I don't recall seeing anyone mention it. When you say "the latest N-trig driver," where are you getting it? The Surface Pro driver? I guess that there's a good chance that it might work, but the Surface Pro 4 pen digitizer system is more advanced than the ZC system, so it's also possible that incompatibilities may exist.

Finally, WinTab is an aging "midware" component that augments the existing pen driver so that some applications (which ordinarily wouldn't) will respond to pen pressure. However, with the advent of modern pen interfaces (APIs), and the corresponding evolution of creative software such as Photoshop, WinTab is rapidly becoming unnecessary. Get something like Clip Studio Paint and forget about WinTab...

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Microsoft Wintab driver is a Wintab32.dll that resides in both the System32 and SysWOW64 directories. You can copy that file into the same locations on the Z Canvas and it will work.

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just realized I will now have owned all 3 models of the ZC.

4. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Just want to thank Surface pro artist and Steve for answering my question regarding wintab's pen performance. Now I'm installing several drawing apps and made a full backup of my ssd via clonezilla. Has anyone had any problems restoring a complete drive backup yet? I imagine it should be the same as a non OEM pc but I'm not experienced with oem laptops/tablets and the uefi bios looks vastly different than say an non OEM Asus board. thnx

surfaceproartist likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Has anyone had any problems restoring a complete drive backup yet?..>>

...I don't see why there would be any issue. I use Acronis True Image for my back-ups, and the one time I needed to use it, the back-up installed exactly as expected. Note that the issue isn't whether you're using a desktop, laptop or tablet, it the OS that you're running. Just be sure that your back-up app (whatever it is) is compatible with your OS, so that you get a valid image, and you should be fine. Modern back-up apps should be fine with UEFI.

6. gusa

gusa Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the YouTube link - I'm going to check it out later (I understand Japanese, so can provide a summary of what he says later, if you like). I read somewhere that each Canvas was individually calibrated before being sent out. Is that right? That, for me, was one of its selling points.

However, I've had my Canvas for about a week now, and the colors are exaggerated and lurid. The worst example is people's faces where what in real life is a healthy glow to the cheeks looks like a fiery rash.

For that reason, when I process photos on the Canvas using the same eye as I did with my Surface Pro 3 and the Dell XPS I had before it, they end up looking washed out when posted online. This is because I toned things down too much as a result of the exaggerated colors my Canvas is displaying.

Does anyone else have experience of this?

7. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You're experiencing color-space issues. If the images were encoded in sRGB and you're decoding them as Adobe RGB, the colors are going to be oversaturated. When working with images, always make sure you set the correct color space. Or if you want, you could set your display's colorspace to sRGB and forget all about it.

8. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Coming up this week I'll start my transition of moving all my files and programs from the desktop to ZC. I'm going to pull the 2TB 2.5" HDD from the desktop and transition that over to a smaller NAS that I'll eventually fill up with more for movie storage/etc. That will stay connected to the docking station at my desk.

I have 1TB of storage to play with now on the ZC vs 256GB OS SSD on my desktop, so I should be good.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd throw a 1TB m.2 in the ZC for storage.

9. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

The regular Vaio Z just got a slight refresh in Japan with the 1TB m.2 SSDs. Will be interesting to see if they do it with the Z Canvas.

10. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

There are some m.2 SATA (not PCIe NVMe) drives you might want to consider. I have the 1TB Crucial MX300 ($249) in an external enclosure. There are also the Samsung 850 Evo, Sandisk X400, WD Blue, and Transcend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.