VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...While working with the pen I'm using the keyboard for shortcuts. Every now and then I accidentally touch the trackpad and the canvas registers a click somewhere on the screen...>>

...I assume that you know about the second position on the keyboard switch that turns the touchpad off? However, if you are talking about disabling only the one-touch-one-click-gesture, and nothing else (i.e., other touchpad functionality like mousing unaffected), then I don't know of a way to do that (except possibly a driver hack).

Anyone else?

2. Akvod

Akvod Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got mine a few minutes ago ($999 from Amazon by DealFisher). I have some first impressions/questions:

1) Is there back light bleed, especially at the bottom?
    2) I don't know if I'm going crazy, but is the touch screen not as responsive at the very top edge of the screen compared to the rest? I swear, when I'm browsing the web and gently touching the tabs and buttons on the top like I do with the rest of the screen, it won't register half of the time, but if I firmly press for half a second longer, it will.

I'm paranoid of having a defective computer after having gone through 2 with the Spectre X2.

Edit: Got off the phone with the Vaio customer service. The guy said that he had a lot of negative calls from people who bought from DealFisher, but he also confirmed that the product was covered under the manufacturer's warranty, as advertised.

I'm going to search around the internet but it seems like the backlight bleed is not a defect. I think I can live with it, other people mentioned it, and the Vaio rep. said that they recommend the brightness to be set to 40% (I think I heard someone doing a video review mention the brightness setting too). Setting it to 40%, the bleed isn't noticeable.

I wasn't able to replicate the touch issues, so I'm hoping that was either my imagination or something temporary. I'm going to do as many updates as I can and heavily monitor this computer.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. Steve S

<<...Is there back light bleed, especially at the bottom?..>>

...Yes, and it is particularly pronounced along the bottom edge. It is not troublesome if you are not looking at an image with solid-color borders. Even then, you start to ignore it after a period of time. It isn't a defect.

<<...is the touch screen not as responsive at the very top edge...>>

...I have not noticed this. Anyone else know different?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  4. Steve S

Finished installing the Anniversary Update (or Redstone 1) on my ZC late this afternoon. The installation was routine and consistent with several other devices that I updated during the afternoon and early evening.

Everything seems to be working as expected, but I am still working through the various apps and functions. I think I've spotted a bug in Windows Paint, and another Forum member reported that Journal has been removed (I verify)! If you want it, you can reinstall it from the Microsoft site. See the Windows 10 discussion forum.

5. Steve S

Uh-oh... Looks like there might be a problem with non-uniform touch response on the screen. I'm going to run the Touch Calibration Tool, but I won't be able to report back until tomorrow afternoon...

6. Akvod

Akvod Pen Pal - Newbie

Haven't been able to replicate the touch issue still, so I'm hoping it was something funky going on when I was installing updates.

7. Steve S

<<...Looks like there might be a problem with non-uniform touch response on the screen...>>

...And... The problem that I was seeing yesterday has gone away today. It wasn't necessary to run the Touch Calibration Tool, because as soon as I woke up my ZC today, touch was performing normally all around the screen including along the top edge. In fact, the touch response struck me as noticeably crisper in the wake of installing the Anniversary Update ( but the ZC's touch response has always been superior, and this could easily be my imagination ). I have tested both left button (Shortcut Key Menu) and right button (Finger Touch on / off or Drawing Board) functions and they work as expected...

So at this point I'm going to declare that the update is successful...! If you're sitting on the fence about updating, it looks safe and it doesn't seem to break anything...

8. Akvod

Akvod Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you install the below keyboard update? I think I saw some posts saying that caused problems.

Update: http://support.us.vaio.com/customer...e-02-06-00-0a-for-windows-10-”-update-program

9. Steve S

<<...Did you install the below keyboard update?..>>

...Yes, I installed the Keyboard Firmware update months ago. Interestingly, the first attempt failed, but the second attempt was successful. Thereafter, it has never given me any trouble.

I have never had keyboard connectivity problems, either before or after the firmware update...

10. shin3314

shin3314 Pen Pal - Newbie

My vaio z canvas is showing up as intel core i7 4702HQ on NAME and core i7-4770HQ on specification when im using cpu-z .
    Is that normal?