VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

wow.....that actually is a great deal........$997 for the 8GB/256GB config, and $1397 for the 16GB/1TB config. I have absolutely no need for that tablet
    and have too many as is.....but that price point tempts even me. Clearly the highlight of their Presidents day sale.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

OK; I've had some time to think about this, and I'm going to float an hypothesis:
    • This sale does not mean that VAIO is abandoning the US market
    • VAIO is adjusting their US pricing and (likely) trying to reduce inventory and / or increase their brand recognition (with a "can't ignore" sale)
    My reasoning is as follows:
    • Remember when VAIO introduced the ZC in the US? They got completely paved over by the hype about Surface 4 / Surface Book. That ill-timed coincidence probably cost them both would-have-been customers and name recognition. Really, only enthusiasts like us probably knew much about their intro...
    • Since then, Surface has dominated the news. VAIO's customer base and Surface's customer base are probably largely the same group of people (the Venn diagram of high-end tablets!)
    • In addition, Microsoft has been staging periodic sales of Surface devices. When VAIO contemplated joining the US market, they probably thought that high-end tablet pricing would be stable. It really hasn't been. VAIO probably thinks that they need to retreat to a lower price point to be viable in our market.
    • So, rather than sit on inventory, why not have a real blow-out sale and (hopefully) also bootstrap up your brand awareness at the same time?
    • When your new models start to roll in, price them more competitively...
    Note that this is all speculation on my part, but I think it might make sense. As another forum member pointed out, VAIO is just now bringing some of their other models to the US, so why would they suddenly abandon the market now? Their most pressing need is probably to adjust their prices so that they can compete more effectively in the marketplace of features...

3. Gophynna

Gophynna Pen Pal - Newbie

Could use some advice seeing what a great deal this is. I have been on the verge of getting a Surface Pro 4 for occasional doodling/office note taking/minor 3d work. I've seen the review where they say the Z Canvas has slightly less issue with the slow lines than the SP3, but does anyone know how it compares to the improvements of the SP4?

4. laalaa99stl

laalaa99stl Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, the VZC still has the jitter "problem," but the circumstances under which it arises are so highly contrived that most normal people will never notice it. Do you draw at a rate slower than 1mm per second at a 45 degree angle? The one person who thought they experienced an improvement compared to the SP4 later retracted that statement upon further testing. They are about the same. Don't worry about. Just buy it already!

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the drawing experience is almost exactly the same. I might even give the SP4 a slight lead. But for 3d work, which will no doubt require occasional rendering, the VAIO is your only choice. The Blender BMW benchmark took about 6 minutes to render on the VAIO and over 10 minutes on the i7 Surface Book. On the m3 Surface Pro 4, rendering time was 15:31. The Cintiq Companion 2 and Thinkpad Yoga 14 were only slightly better at 14 and change.

You can see all the benchmnarks I've run to date in my Surface Book review here: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/20...-but-artists-should-stay-with-the-surface-pro

6. Gophynna

Gophynna Pen Pal - Newbie

You telling me to get the Canvas or the Pro :p

7. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

The 16GB/1TB version is a crazy deal. I paid close to $4k getting mine from Japan last June before it was announced here. The processor alone makes it worth this price. The fact you can get 16/1 for $1400 when the Surface (which IMO is not as powerful) is pretty much double the price makes it a no brainer. Build quality is great - I've schlepped it all around the world, done tons of presenting with it, etc. It's been the best portable VM machine I've ever had - stays cool as a cucumber.

I first saw it in the Sony building under glass in December of 2014. I loved it then and I still like it now 8 months later.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Same here. No need for a new tablet pc, generally waiting for ES pens to catch up to EMR, but even my fingers twitched when I saw that price point.

9. iujona

iujona Pen Pal - Newbie

I probably return mine despite the price drop . Biggest reason is battery life . Only 3 hours with 50% brightness and power saver. It's only Microsoft store reducing price . Sony store still selling for full price. It's too Heavy to be a tablet and the non connected keyboard means it can't be used as a laptop

10. iujona

iujona Pen Pal - Newbie

Someone must have bought them in bulk. Out of stock now