VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laalaa99stl

laalaa99stl Pen Pal - Newbie

If VAIO follows Apple's schedule, and Apple repeats its own schedule from last year, then the new 15" MBPs will be announced at the end of May with availability around the end of August just in time for back to school.

But there's no guarantee that VAIO will feel compelled to be in lockstep with Apple since there really isn't anything else the VZC is competing with. It's the ONLY true quad core tablet out there. Surface Pro and Cintiq Companion 2 can't hold a candle to it performance wise. And the VCZ screen is to die for. The 98% aRGB and 2:3 ratio is a dream. A DREAM! Get it, man. It WILL increase your productivity.

The only thing I hate about it is the keyboard. No backlight. No angle. (Why couldn't they add two miniaturized versions of the kickstand to each end of the keyboard?) Small keys. Short travel. No dedicated pageup and pagedown keys. Oddly gritty, imprecise, trackpad. (Maybe it will break in with wear?) But I can live with this keyboard if I can keep this gorgeous screen.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

So it turned out these fluorescents weren't the only source of interference (if they were a source at all). At this point, I'll just take it up with VAIO support to see if I can find the other cause. I've dragged you all through enough dead ends.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  3. fredcamino

fredcamino Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't mind the keyboard (lack of backlight is a missing perk, but not a big deal to me) but the trackpad is just godawful. Why can't Windows PC's ever come with decent trackpads??? This thing is an engineering marvel, but this ancient trackpad tech is still an impossible challenge?

4. fredcamino

fredcamino Pen Pal - Newbie

Definitely reach out to VAIO support. I've been working with them on the same issue, they've initiated warranty service now after finding no solution. So the support staff is definitely aware of this issue. Hoping they either fix, or send me a working Canvas. I love this tablet in those rare moments when it's working properly for me.

5. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The glass Synaptics touchpads are great, so there's really no excuse for having bad trackpads on any high-end device.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<...the trackpad is just godawful...>>

...As far as trackpad feel is concerned, it can be greatly improved by sticking a piece of screen protector (of your choice) on the trackpad. I'm not a fan of the existing "rubbery" feel...

7. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

stormi and czm2000 like this.
  8. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

This is crazy. I wonder if this huge discount means they're not selling well and we won't see another Vaio Canvas? :(
    Maybe it also means the new model is around the corner, but that discount seems way too big.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but I'm not in the US.

9. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, it almost feels like a fire sale. Not so much clearing the shelves for the next gen. DEFINITELY hope it's just making room for new stock though.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Feel like an idiot for having spent so much only three or four months ago. :-(