VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...once I bring the pen to the screen, the cursor issues start...>>

...Do you have a different pen that you can try? If the problem persists, then the digitizer itself would be the most likely suspect...

2. fredcamino

fredcamino Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately, happens with both the VAIO pen and the Surface Pro 4 pen. :(

3. fredcamino

fredcamino Pen Pal - Newbie

Quick update on my continuing issues with the VAIO Z Canvas.

The cursor in the corner issues continues. Had another chat with Customer Support rep Matt today, he's been very responsive and helpful, at least in terms of listening to my issues and offering suggestions, but unfortunately hasn't solved the issue. He's doing some research and calling me back tomorrow, hopefully that will lead to a solution.

I did notice a red flag at the end of our chat though:

Matt: I really want to find out if there is anything that we are missing. I do not want to have to warranty this and send it to the diagnostic lab and have them determine that it is not the Canvas because then they would charge you for the diagnosis. That is going to be our last resort. I want to fix this so we do not even need to go that route
    Obviously seems impossible that it wouldn't be an issue with the Canvas hardware, due to the fact that we've done a complete factor reset, but still... the idea of getting a "diagnostic charge" for my 2-month old, almost $3,000 device is sort of infuriating.

What scares me is that Googling "VAIO diagnostic charge" led to a Consumer Affairs website, where I scrolled through complaints about the SONY versions, and on page 2 I noticed this review of the Sony Vaio Tap 11 (form May 2014):

My Sony Vaio Tap 11 developed several faults within a few months of purchase, which are not due to wear and tear or misuse. The top right hand of the screen kept activating on its own registering repeated touches without actually touching the screen.
    Which is a variation of the problem I'm facing, another red flag that this is a somewhat common hardware issue with the VAIO brand, Sony or not.

Marty likes this.
  4. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I once had Sony charge me a diagnostic fee on my Vaio Z. Was so mad. Especially since it was my 3rd Sony laptop. Worst part was they charged it because they "couldn't duplicate" the screen flicker problem, and I was left no choice but to pay it to get it back, and when I did it had the same damn problem. I duplicated it in 2 seconds (just about as long as it took me to open the screen and turn it on). They ended up making it right, but not before almost losing a customer. Got a free extra power adapter out of the deal though :)

I'm actually kind of surprised and disappointed that the 'new' Vaio seems to have the same philosophy :-(

Fingers crossed for you that your problem gets solved soon.

5. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

@fredcamino Any luck yet?

It started happening to me again yesterday, funnily enough, after what felt like a 1-2 week remission. This time it's identical to your problem -- the cursor has an affinity for the top right side this time around. They released a calibration tool on their support page.

Update: Seems it may have been the fluorescents in the garage. They have a range beyond what I expected.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  6. Steve S

<<...Seems it may have been the fluorescents in the garage...>>

...Fluorescent lights are a notorious source of this problem. It's one of the first things I always suggest. If the light is properly designed, there is typically no problem, but there's no way to tell just by looking. Even properly designed lighting fixtures can develop an EMI problem when they get old.

This is why diagnosing and fixing EMI problems, especially in consumer gear, is such a crap shoot. Some problems are easily fixed; some are never fixed; and no two fixes ever seem to be the same...!

neongolden likes this.
  7. neongolden

An important detail to glean from all this is not to underestimate the potential range of disturbance. These fluorescents in the garage, which are indeed quite old, emitted an interference from +/- 30 ft away! I had never considered them a possibility it was suggested to me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  8. neongolden

This just goes under more impressions:

Been in Heaven the past 2-4 weeks in CSP after picking up Frenden's mega brush pack. I chose the brushes that worked best for me, then tailored the pressure curves to require more firm pressure. I also took @surfaceproartist 's advice and set the icon to a dot, and I got to tell you, it's all been very lovely paired with the CZ's tiny parallax.

Frenden's concept brushes 1-4 are just... ugh, have been so awesome for me, plus inkers like the Big Bub, the hairpin sables, and his take on the G-pen. I feel like I may be getting close to the home stretch on a piece I've been working on for ages.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  9. Steve S

<<...It started happening to me again yesterday...This time it's identical to your problem -- the cursor has an affinity for the top right side this time around. They released a calibration tool on their support page...>>

neon: Did you try recalibrating? Did it do you any good?

Or did you simply turn off the offending lights?

10. neongolden

I think it was all about locating and turning off the lights in my case. I recalibrated close to a dozen times while troubleshooting the other day and can't tell if it had any effect.