VAIO Z Canvas User Reviews and Impressions

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Steve S, Oct 5, 2015.

1. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you please post a small guide on how to take it apart?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

2. MC1400

MC1400 Pen Pal - Newbie

I could but am concerned that there is a high probability that the person attempting such an upgrade will fail. The possibility of damaging the very thin and short ribbon video cable and connector is extremely high.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I was dismayed to see that my Microsoft Store is no longer displaying any VAIO Z's Canvases on Demo on their store floor...>>

The last time that I was at my local store (about ten days ago), the ZC was still on display. Obviously, each store may handle the ZC differently, but I would think that the stores would want to display it if it were in stock.

I have to say that my ZC really rocks! The Wi-Fi connectivity is so much better than Marvell...

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm going to pop in at my local Microsoft Store and see if it's still on display there. It still seems to be in stock online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can you please post a small guide on how to take it apart?..>>

...See Post # 152 in this thread, but be sure to read the comments. The screwdriver needed to reach the screws behind the vent is a specialty tool...

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Still on display in Century City!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just saw the 3rd Z Canvas banner ad on a website in less than 30 min. The links lead to the Microsoft Store Z Canvas page. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be advertising it if they were still selling it :)

8. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

I actually have a thin screwdriver and managed to unscrew the 3 screws but was afraid to continue...the top vent piece seemed very hard to pop out...

9. MC1400

MC1400 Pen Pal - Newbie

WARNING: The video cable and connector are very fragile and will likely be broken during this process resulting in loss of use of the tablet and unknown repair costs. Expect a $2000-$3000 slab of brick or use the HDMI / DP connector if one is fortunate.

0. Make sure one has a USB backup of the system for installation. Save data.
    1 . Inside the vent, loosen the three screws with a thin shaft philips screwdriver PH000 or maybe PH00 (I used a PH000 very carefully).
    2. With the back panel facing you, work out the vent going left to right while pulling the vent towards you. (I used fingernails)
    3. Unhook the two loops of the wifi antenna cable on the second screw location.
    4. When removed, note the tab on the right side of the plastic vent. That tab will have to be inserted first when reattaching the vent.
    5. Open the kickstand and note the panel with the reset hole. Using the fingers and slight downward force, slide the panel downward.
    6. Underneath the panel note the video cable on the left side.
    7. Unhinge the connector by lifting the *black* portion of the connector.
    8. The connection should look like this, before removing the cable. Note: the tabs on each side of the connector the wire pins ABOVE the cable and that the left side of the connector has already begun to slide outward):
    VaioCanvasZVidCon.jpg
    9. CAREFULLY slide out the ribbon cable.
    10. Work a credit card around the edge of tablet where the metal meets the plastic and separating the catches.
    11. Lift the back upward carefully as the WiFi antennas are still attached.
    12. Remove the two screws holding down the battery cable.
    13. Detach the battery cable.
    14. Note the two PCI-e slots for drives.
    15. Replace, swap drives as desired.
    16. To reassemble, reverse steps 13 -> 1

I have no idea how to obtain a new cable or connector. If the reattached video cable (before closing the latch) does not look like the picture, the cable is installed incorrectly. Do not force the cable.

The detachment and the reattachment of the video cable are the most frustrating and perilous parts of the process.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Greg_UA, KagaRen, stormi and 4 others like this.
  10. MC1400

MC1400 Pen Pal - Newbie

It does not "pop out". Be careful!!!!!!

11. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow!!! Thanks for the guide!