Vaio Z Canvas SSD upgrade update

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Andrik, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrik

Andrik Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I got hold of a Vaio Z Canvas, the 16Gb , 512pcie version.
    Since one ssd slot is free and other people described how to open up the device, I went ahead and installed an additional 250Gb ssd.

After installation however both the BIOS and windows 10 don't recognize the new ssd. It's like it doesn't exist.
    The new ssd is a samsung 850 evo m.2.

Now a couple of options crossed my mind:
    1. the ssd is faulty (I bought a new one so I don't think that will be the case)
    2. the second ssd port is faulty.
    3. You can't mix m.2 and pcie in one system. Although it's supposed to support both, but perhaps not the same time.

Anyone any ideas?

I've also send a message to vaio.Usually they respond pretty quickly so I hope to hear from them as well.

regards,
    Andrik

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...After installation however both the BIOS and windows 10 don't recognize the new ssd...>>

Andrik: Contacting VAIO is your best course of action but if I was guessing about your problem, I'd guess your option #3. The BIOS only works with one protocol or the other, but not both at the same time...

Good luck; I hope you find a solution...

3. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm guessing Vaio won't help much since opening the machine yourself violates the warranty unless yours is out of warranty then it won't matter. I would say it's probably #3 more than anything else, or not quite #2, but it's possible in the single SSD version, they disable the other.

4. Andrik

Andrik Pen Pal - Newbie

Well my vaio is out of warranty so no worries there. Vaio is very helpful by the way, I've contacted them several times with questions and they respond real quick.
    On this subject they told me that they would confer with the tech department to find out if it's possible to mix two types of ssd's. I'm expecting an answer soon.

5. Andrik

Andrik Pen Pal - Newbie

Vaio USA answered my question...it's NOT possible to mix different ssd technologies in the canvas. So you can't mix pcie and m.2.

stormi, Model, Marty and 1 other person like this.
  6. phyc

phyc Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, I had added one 950 pro into my VZC and also move all of the system for old ssd to the new m.2 one and both work well. I have no idea with the 850 one but I guess it should work with VZC. Just checked with the ssd you got.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Model likes this.
  7. 594chenjh

594chenjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello phyc,I added one 950 pro 512G to the empty slot,but VZC cann't start normally.It just blink VAIO on the screen and do nothing. Other works necessary? Thank for your help.
    My e-mail is 13910723391@163.com.

8. BadArtist

BadArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey by any chance does anyone know if the 8gb vzc model can benefit from the new samsung 960 ssd? On the website it says it uses serial ATA(sata) so I dont know if it's compatible with m.2 pcie. Plz Help! :vbconfused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.