VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...But did you check to see if the SP4 downloaded any Surface-specific updates or drivers?..>>

...Yes, I did; it was the same three downloads for both machines. It wouldn't have been a fair comparison if they had been different...

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It was not so much a jab at you, but more one at Microsoft for not warning users if a hardware-related setting change is occurring or not.

Case in point, I talked with VAIO support and they claim ClipStudioPaint triggers the install of another pen driver from MS which causes issues. At first I was skeptical, but I tested this behavior on a fresh install of Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Basically, if you do a fresh install of Win10AU and then install all the drivers from the VAIO support site, you will find that the "Input Device" option (required for pressure curve adjustment) in the VAIO Control Panel is missing.

After beating my head against the wall for a few days, I stumbled upon a solution: you need to run an art program (in my case Painter 2015, but CSP should also work) and manually set the tablet mode to "Real-Time Stylus". After doing this, and opening my VAIO Control Panel the "Input Device" option showed up.

So basically, there appears to be two hidden "modes" (thanks MS) to the default N-Trig driver. Frustratingly, the mode that VAIO claims is unsupported and may cause pen glitches, is the very one required for proper interfacing with the VAIO Control Panel!

You can just imagine the sort of debugging confusion this causes...I'll keep you apprised, as I'm still working out issues with inconsistent pen performance (which is also what's delaying the release of my setup guide, in case anyone is wondering ;)).

3. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm considering buying another Vaio Z Canvas (even though I just sold mine) and replacing my custom m-ITX desktop with it. I'd mostly leave it plugged in and connected to dual monitors.

Is there a good docking station anyone uses?

Half my reasoning for this is now that I've started vet school I'm really enjoying blanking out diagrams and drawing them. With my current setup, I do it on my Surface 3 and sometimes the syncing gets wonky between the two machines.

This way I can just come back from class, throw the Surface 3 on the charger, and the Z Canvas would have already synced by then. I can then just transition seamlessly with my pen and pick up for studying.

I could just get the top of the line Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Dock, but I do like the smaller size and portability of the Surface 3, and I don't feel as bad taking an Atom based machine I picked up for $299 into the Anatomy lab and throwing it around.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Haha, one you go VAIO Z, you don't go back! ;)

Well, I think it might be a little bit of a waste get a Canvas just for desktop use, but it's certainly an elegant option, if you need the occasional pen input and in-house mobility.

Most modern docking stations rely on Thunderbolt3, so maybe you should just go for WIDI streaming to a monitor and use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard to forego a dock altogether?

Edit: I just found this, Sabrent USB 3.0 Docking Station:
    [​IMG]
    Seems like it could be useful to double as tablet stand for the Canvas (no DisplayPort though).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016