VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...However, as I noted in my earlier in the thread, stroke latency is heavily dependent on the InkAPI implementation of the app being used...>>

...Agreed. This Wacom - N-trig comparison thing is both non-static and hugely complicated, as Microsoft continues to constantly update everything!

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. Steve S

<<...OneNote is being used, whose engine has always struggled to capture quick, tightly-spaced letters...>>

...One afterthought: I suppose it could be argued that the inking performance bar for OneNote should be set pretty high. After all, it's a note taking application! I wonder if it's trying to do too much in the background, and that activity drags down its (now aging) inking code?

3. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

If I'm not mistaken, the iris pro 580 CPUs haven't shipped yet. That may be one major reason for a delay. I'm definitely one of those fence sitters.

I almost bought a Z Canvas but the lack Skylake's HEVC encoding and decoding and thunderbolt 3 dissuaded me. I ended up buying a Dell XPS 12 with 4k display (I think the display is better than the Z Canvas's with about the same adobeRGB coverage, no backlight bleed, and higher resolution). The battery is actually worse than the Z Canvas's (it has less than half the capacity) but it's keyboard and touchpad is better and more ergonomic.

If VAIO released an updated Z Canvas with a wider kickstand that can be used on the lap, Skylake or neand, thunderbolt 3, and something similar to xps 12 or iPad 9.7 inch screen with DCI P3 coverage and no backlight bleed, I will be a 1st day purchaser

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My ZC deal fell through, so I still have it.

Will let it go for a very good price.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cool, I didn't know there was another tablet pc with a pro grade display. But I think it's massively expensive compared to the current prices for the Canvas Z.

According to notebookcheck, the XPS12 has an 86% aRGB coverage (vs. 95%), which is very impressive and it actually significantly beats the Canvas in brightness at 399 nits (vs. 250 nits).

Similar to mobiletechreview, I found the Canvas' display to seem brighter than 250 nits, but with 399 nits do you notice the XPS12 to usable outdoors?

From personal use, the Canvas' display is not usable outdoors (or with extremely bright overhead lighting), so that is one area which I think the Canvas could improve. I would be thrilled personally, if the new Canvas used an OLED display with 855 nits max brightness like the new Galaxy S7 screens.

One can dream...(but the current display is still quite lovely though ;))

6. Vaga

Vaga Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow the Z Canvas is a steal now!!
    Dell.com is price gouging. I got their $1400 package for less than $1100 and another $150 in Dell Credit. The same model is about $1k in the Microsoft store and $900 in Amazon now. So price is reasonable I think.

I can read the display in direct sunlight at 100% and through a window at 50 or 75. I usually have it set between 0 and 25 otherwise.

Honestly the OLED screen in the new Samsung windows tablet is not good. The viewing angles are terrible and the color shifts green just slightly off angle. OLED needs work before it's ready for laptop screens I think (I guess it's probably pentile unlike the TVs)

Marty likes this.
  7. Marty

Call me cheap, but I still think ~$1k is still too much for Core M hardware; that was pretty much the baseline price of the previous generation of Core i hardware. I don't like how manufacturers are gouging so much nowadays.

(Except for VAIO right now that is...not sure how they can sell a fully-loaded quad-core tablet at a sub $1.5k price point, but I say keep it coming! We need to build that market share! :))

From what I understand about Samsung AMOLEDs, color shift should be impossible because the RGB sub-pixels self illuminate. So unless there is some weird diffraction going on, the PC displays should function just as well their phone counterparts (which is to say best in class).

I'll definitely keep an eye out for color shift, next time I go check out the TabPro S in store, though. Thanks for the heads up.

That's really good news! I always thought you needed at least 500+ nits for sunlight readability, and 700+ nits for clear viewability.

Let's hope they make sunlight view-ability a feature of the Canvas. I would really love to take this machine outside for doing landscape sketches/paintings.

8. Steve S

This evening provided an interesting comparison. I was updating my i7 SP4 and my ZC with today's cumulative Windows updates. I had both devices plugged in so I could get the updates done quickly. I started the SP4 downloading the three updates (2 Windows cum updates and Defender, of course). If you've already done this, you know that the updates take a while to download. As soon as the SP4 was finished downloading and started installation, I started the download on my ZC. I was interested to see where they were going to end up, although I naturally assumed that the SP4 would finish first. Except that the ZC caught up to the SP4 when it was at the 84% mark of "preparing Windows," and finished the update a minute and 20 seconds before the SP4 finished! I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was. What a powerhouse!!

czm2000 likes this.
  9. Marty

But did you check to see if the SP4 downloaded any Surface-specific updates or drivers?

Don't get me wrong, I think the Canvas is blazingly fast, but I've found processor speed is not that big a factor in update speeds, it's SSD speeds combined with how clean the OS state is.

10. Steve S

<<...But did you check to see if the SP4 downloaded any Surface-specific updates or drivers?..>>

...Yes, I did; it was the same three downloads for both machines. It wouldn't have been a fair comparison if they had been different...