VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I was originally looking for something more on-the-go at 10", but wants can easily fill the gap. If this is released, then I might well be doing a four device juggle, and need to buy a new wallet (the poor thing).

I might. I live in a rather rural area, and being a new gaijin, am not deemed trustworthy enough to be allowed a proper debit/credit card (you know, I think they might be on to something there). If it's released I'll see what I can do, though you'll obviously have to pay shipping, and I don't want to think what the customs bill will be like.

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks man! I was actually half-joking, but I really appreciate the offer! I actually do order quite a bit of stuff from Japan, but of course shipping is always expensive.

Ouch, they won't even give you a debit card? Well good thing the US dollar is trading high. As for the Canadian, ugh...I've had to scale back on my geek imports :(

3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Some additional thoughts/questions on the Vaio vs CC2 debate:

Is the CC2 screen 95% Adobe RGB? I could have sworn I read that it is, but I haven't been able to locate an article in my recent google searches that confirms it.

Can anyone who has held the Pro Pen tell me if it's substantially different from the old standard pen Wacom provided for the Intuos 3? I ask in terms of weight, texture, etc. It seems as though the large prominent button may not be as invasive as I remember it being on the Intuous 3, which had lead me to buy the "Art Pen". There is nothing like that listed for the CC2 on Wacom's website under accessory pens at this time.

So, still vaguely leaning towards the Vaio at the moment, but hard to say...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  4. neongolden

I'm pretty ambivalent on this feature. I can sort-of imagine the hardcore 3d enthusiasts with a burning need to use the latest effects packages finding it useful. If you already have access to a fully decked out PC or renderfarm, wouldn't you probably also have access to better alternatives than working on a narrow 13" screen? For a lot of us, even the HD4400s of yore were enough to get our work done, not to mention, let's say, you buy the $2500 broadwell model with Iris Pro.

I mean, by that same token, why not just prep your work on your tablet and then use one of the myriad of options available to transfer your work to that PC? I think I would have preferred they put that R&D into a clamshell design or better battery (as if it was that simple). Maybe I'll be proven wrong and find myself in a situation where it's going to be totally rad to plug it right in and have a second screen, but if you're the kind of person who's escaped the bohemian lifestyle and already has access to that kind of equipment (and isn't worried about next month's rent)... heck, wouldn't you already have at least a Huion, or a 22" Cintiq?

Anyway, 3 days until this comes out in Japan! A couple of random tidbits I've learned:
    -Apparently it might only ship with a Japanese keyboard, making things worse for those of us speculating about importing early on.
    -One of the older articles actually mentioned it will have similar battery life to the SP3 (up to 8 hours!).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  5. stormi

stormi Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmm in all the pictures and videos I've seen there was always a US/International keyboard visible.

6. neongolden

Yeah, it was a Japanese blog post that I ran through a translator. It said something like "even though it featured an English keyboard at the conventions, the final product's will be Japanese", but it could have been a translation error. I doubt I'll have time to retrace my steps before it comes out. We'll find out in 3 days, in any case.

7. FenderP

FenderP Scribbler - Standard Member

Considering it's not for the international market, I doubt there will be a non-Japanese keyboard outside of that original prototype.

Both the Canvas and the regular Z were announced today. The regular Z does not have a US keyboard option. I'll get the Canvas when it comes out in May - size is right what I want it to be, 16GB of memory, and up to 1TB of internal SSD plus all of the ports with no dongles (outside of VGA) needed. I liked it under glass, but now that we know more formal specs, I'm all in. The new Z is tempting and will have better battery life but the Canvas is more what I want.

Good article. They talk about N-Trig, and how this will have 1024 sensitivity, not just 256.
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/ubiq/20150216_688437.html

Pics of the final:
    http://www.itmedia.co.jp/pcuser/articles/1502/16/news073.html

The regular Z also has the digitizer, so ...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    neongolden and stormi like this.
  8. stormi

I hope I can also get my hands on a Vaio Z Canvas in the future :D The only thing that is missing is a docking port :(

9. neongolden

Does anyone know the pixel density on the Cintiq Companion 2, for comparison? I can't find it on Wacom's website or anywhere else that I've looked.

10. stormi

Cintiq Companion 2 & VAIO Z: 221 ppi
    VAIO Z Canvas: 250 ppi