VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

He probably doesn't want to let you see that he got it for 60% off during the Microsoft Store fire sale a couple of months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czm2000 likes this.
  2. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've had this happen to me several times over the years. I always ask for a receipt and anytime someone wasn't able to produce one it has been one of reasons:

1) Like SPA says above, they didn't want me to know how little they paid.

2) It was a gift, they honestly don't have it and don't want to ask the person who gave it to them.

3) It's stolen.

4) They genuinely lost it.

But in this digital age now so many things are purchased online and so you can generally search through your email for a receipt or login to your account to get one. However, the last Vaio I bought on eBay, I demanded the receipt after the person pulled something similar and he went to the MS store and had a duplicate printed. It even said duplicate on the receipt so I know he was being honest and had simply misplaced it. But I knew I would need it for any warranty service, and sure enough I ended up using it.

Sent from my GS7

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The seller refuses to provide me with it, first saying...>>

...All good points listed in the recent postings, and I suspect that SurfaceProArtist may have the reason.

For myself, I never assume that sellers will have receipts or other paperwork and that it's a bonus if they do. It's for the same reason that many sellers don't have original packing; once they've convinced themselves that the product is OK, they dispose of the packaging because they just don't think about the possibility that they might need it in the future.

Of course, that's not true of everyone, and particularly not of people like us, so you're probably right to be a little suspicious. However, SPA's reasoning makes at least as much sense, if not more, than "shady dealing"...

czm2000 likes this.
  4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

All you electrical folk, let me know if I'm ok, please!

I have an external battery pack I bought when I had my SP3 that I'll for sure mount in my backpack to charge the ZC if I make it my school device in the fall.

The DC out is voltage switchable with 9V, 12V, 16V, 19V, or 20V at a max of 4.5A

The ZC charger is 19.5V at 3.3A. Am I good? Which voltage should I choose? Based on brief research it seems that 0.5V is enough tolerance, but I'm not sure if I should choose below or above what the ZC usually takes, or if I shouldn't do it at all.

Thanks guys

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Am I good?..>>

...Yes, you are. Assuming that you do not have an accurate voltmeter (and therefore cannot measure the actual output at the various settings of your battery), I would start at the 19V output setting and observe if your ZC operates and charges. If so, I'd keep that setting. If the ZC's battery doesn't charge, then I would try the 20V setting.

As for the amperage, the ZC will only draw what it needs (3.3 A or less); the battery's higher rating simply means that it has headroom for some other use that might require more amperage, up to 4.5 A.

PS: It would be helpful to know the brand and model number of the external battery in question. Tekkeon? Anker? MikeGyver? Someone may have already tried one of these and would be able to report actual experience...

Also, note this comment from the MikeGyver site:

"...Our batteries come with standard tips, however we are increasingly seeing "smart adapters" where just any tip does not necessary mean it'll power/charge your laptop. I would suggest any one of our Batteries first to see if the tip works. If not, get back with us and we'll "convert" or special make a cable for you it so that it will work..."

6. Mr. Boosh

Thanks. I did purchase a MikeGyver battery pack which is just a rebranded generic MP-32000-B / Part # YD-MP-32000-B charger. Other companies are rebranding these too. I was just curious about the voltage setting. I'll try the 19V first. Is there any chance I could damage the ZC?

Regarding the "smart adapters," from my reading it seems Sony/Vaio's been using the same tip forever.

7. Mr. Boosh

Now I have 2 Z Canvases in my posession. Absolute tech-gluttony.

I need to sell one, stat! Who wants a 256/8!?

Steve S Comments: You can leave this here, but please post in the Buy / Sell Forum. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2016
  8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

So, revisiting this subject after all this time, did anyone ever get the modern VAIO wallpaper that was on the JP Canvases?

9. Kirä

Kirä Pen Pal - Newbie

[​IMG]

neongolden likes this.
  10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I think the lower fan(s) in my ZC have started to make a low-pitched noise, along with some minor vibrations, when they rev up to mid-high levels in "Performance" mode. I was just wondering if anyone else gets this, and how seriously I should take it. I haven't tried spraying any compressed air through the vents yet.