VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad I'm not alone with this. My SP4 pen stopped working after one day of use, not a battery issue either, the bluetooth button still works just fine though.
    Nice paperweight I guess...

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My SP4 pen stopped working after one day of use...>>

...Send it back and demand a replacement (or a refund)...

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the battery is ok, it's possible that the pen driver has been disabled somehow.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Is that even possible? MS Pen driver is always working in Windows since Win7. It's only the Wacom driver that flakes out in my experience. If the VAIO pen still works on the Canvas Z, something conked out on that SP4 pen IMO.

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Bluetooth feature uses a different battery in the cap, separate from the main AAAA battery. Replacing the AAAA might bring it back to life.

6. Seel

Seel Pen Pal - Newbie

Pretty sure that's just the SP3 pen doing it that way. Regardless, I did already replace the battery just to be sure, no dice.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It is, I see it on my Pro 3 every now and then with both the Pro 3 and Pro 4 pen, where the pen just doesn't initially respond or just drops out and cursor disappears. Usually I just reattach the keyboard and use the trackpad to bring the cursor back into view, then the pen will start to respond normally. It happens so rarely on my Pro 3 that I don't really see it as an significant issue.....either a hickup with the pen itself or a driver glitch.

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Update:

Thank you all for the feedback. I've been holding off a response to try to be more certain this time, and I think I've concluded it was just wireless interference in my case. It could be the SP4 pen has a slightly different way of reacting to it than the Vaio pen; it will drop input entirely for a period of time instead of "fighting" against the cursor.

A little while back, it turned out that these auxiliary network adapters were the true source of the interference I was having on the Canvas.

WIN_20160216_11_15_21_Pro.jpg

I don't know the details of how they work. Something about using the electrical lines of a building to amplify your wi-fi's signal. We had three of them in our house; after I unplugged them, I didn't get anymore interference. They also appear to have been totally unnecessary, as we still get a strong signal from our two routers.

Someone recently plugged a few of them back in without me knowing, so there you have it.

As a side-note, as others such as Surfaceproartist have already said, the SP4 pen is quite the joy to use. The B nib feels great on my Photodon MXH screen protector (it's sort of like liquid media or a grease marker, actually) and the thin size of the nib works fantastically on a system with minimal parallax.

I still don't have eraser-cap functionality in CSP but I'll look into that later... could have something to do with the Vaio settings where I generally have all buttons disabled, or it could be something else.

ATIVQ likes this.
  9. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For those of you using this machine regularly, could you run a:

Code:
    powercfg /BATTERYREPORT
    or post a screenshot of a BatteryBar Pro average graph? What's your average battery life?

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What's your average battery life?..>>

Look back a couple of pages here and in the Impressions thread. This was recently discussed...