VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...having problems with latest win 10 update...>>

...Me, too. Not to the extent that you experienced, but both my ZC and my SP4 reported installation problems with yesterday's updates. Upon retrying, the installations completed, and upon restarting, everything seemed to return to normal. It's discouraging that Microsoft seems to stumble so often on updates...!

2. hipno515

hipno515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Think I found the solution...remove SDcard from slot before updating!

3. freya301

freya301 Pen Pal - Newbie

JoeS likes this.
  4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I just picked up a Surface Pro 4 pen to use with the Canvas and am having a weird problem. The pen input will get completely dropped a few minutes into working. The cursor will literally just quit following the nib in the middle of a stroke and stay in place.

Touch input is unaffected. I'll have to wait a bit and bring the pen in and out of range several times, or "reboot" the pen by removing and reattaching the cap, to get it to work again.

Whether or not I pair it via bluetooth doesn't seem to make any difference. I'm still confused by that. I guess pairing it simply gives me the functionality of the button on the cap, and maybe the side-button.

Also I haven't figured out how to get eraser functionality. The cap only draws the same way as the nib. I'm not sure if that's normal because I'm not on SP4 firmware or if I have to go find and install some drivers. Sorry, I know it's been discussed and I tried searching for previous discussion but only came up with praises for the pen's ergonomics.

And btw this doesn't seem to be the same EMI problem I've been having for a while (along with Fred). My VAIO pen is working perfectly.

Any suggestions? It shouldn't be a firmware conflict since none of you seem to be having the same problems. That only leaves me with the possibility that it's a malfunctioning pen for the time being.

I seem to be able to make it happen a lot faster if I try to use a lot of simultaneous touch input, which is unfortunately kind of essential to my workflow in CSP.

5. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the same issue, I've finally just given up on the sp4 pen even though it feels so much nicer. Haven't tried a different sp4 pen yet, nor tried my pen on another device as I haven't had one available.

6. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had similar issues with the SP4 pen but it turns out it was the pen AAAA battery. If your VAIO pen is working correctly, it might be that its battery has more juice so you could try putting it in your SP4 pen. Does that help?

The eraser works great for me. Maybe try again once you've swapped the batteries?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. hydroninja9

hydroninja9 Pen Pal - Newbie

So this may not be the right place to post this but my Vaio Z 2015 AC Adapter just randomly died. Can anyone help me find a replacement charger preferably on Amazon?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone help me find a replacement charger preferably on Amazon?..>>

...The ZC AC adapter is rated at 100V - 240V at 1.5A AC input and 19.5V at 3.3A DC output. The adapter connector, which is the hard part of this, appears to be a 6.5mm OD barrel connector with 4.3mm ID and a 1.3mm center pin. Therefore, the following unit should be a satisfactory replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/VJ8AC19V77-VA...9429&sr=8-1&keywords=vaio+z+canvas+ac+adapter

With the data above, you should be able to find other candidates, as well...

Good luck.

9. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Someone else posted this link, but this one is supposed to be Genuine Sony Vaio AC Adapter. It's identical in size to the Vaio Z Canvas one, except that it's two prong "figure 8" connector, vs the grounded 3 prong "clover leaf" one.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-GE...881651?hash=item4d331ae233:g:N1AAAOSwx~JWE9Dt

Lots of Amazon reviews seems to complain about getting counterfeit or generic instead of authentic Sony Vaio AC Adapters, so eBay is likely a better bet with a good seller.
    Sony Vaio AC Adapters have not changed in many years, the AC adapter from my 6 year old Vaio Z works fine with my new Z Canvas, as the connector and specs are the same. So you'll have a lot of choices for getting a replacement AC Adapter.

10. David B

David B Pen Pal - Newbie

So I will say my eraser seemed to work fine. I had a similar thought and replaced the battery, twice. So either the pen eats batteries or there's another issue.