VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...anyone know where to find the setting for reversing the touchpad scroll direction?..>>

...I spent some time researching this, but I can't find a setting. It appears that this option has been suppressed in this (VAIO) version of Windows. My guess is that you can still enable the option by changing the appropriate registry key, but not everyone is comfortable doing that.

<<...and people wonder why OSX is held as the gold standard in managing settings...>>

...Don't blame Windows; it's VAIO. My Surface Pro 4 and my ZC both have the same vintage of Windows 10, fully updated. My SP4 shows the reverse scroll option in the Mouse & Touchpad window. My ZC does not. This is clearly a decision that VAIO made about their "Signature Version" of Windows 10...

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The "Signature Version" is free of annoying 3rd-party bundled software, it's not customized in any deep way other than standard OEM settings that do not affect drivers.

Some companies (like Synaptics) put the reverse-scroll setting in the old Mouse settings in Control Panel, others (like Microsoft) put them in the new Metro interface.

What touchpad hardware/driver does the Vaio Z Canvas use?

3. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

registry, totally happy to mess with that, will go looking.

It's totally windows fault, inconsistent settings is inconsistent settings. letting hardware vendor change how OS works is something windows gives up and where divergence on usability happens... given that Vaio has made choices though.

4. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    czm2000 likes this.
  5. Steve S

<<...letting hardware vendor change how OS works is something windows gives up and where divergence on usability happens...>>

...But that's precisely the difference between a "walled garden" OSX approach and Window's "plug-n-play" approach. Given a choice, I'd always rather be able to plug-n-play, rather than have some company dictate to me what they thought was useful.

<<...for reversing the trackpad scroll I found this, #2 worked perfect...>>

...Nice catch... I think... I saw a similar discussion of this key on the Microsoft message boards this morning, but it was in the context of a mouse scroll wheel, not a touchpad. Therefore, I wasn't sure that it was useful to mention it...

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The hardware vendors don't change how the OS works, they put the settings in different places (or in no place at all). There is really not much difference between Windows and OS X in this regard. OS X isn't a walled garden, it can run unsigned code. You're thinking of iOS and Android that need to have their code signed by default.

7. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

actually, the touchpad scroll is literally the same setting as the scroll wheel... it's all part of Windows' inconsistency of handling (in that two finger scroll should now be touch gesture but it's actually just throwing back to the old scroll wheel settings).

...all I'll say is that my setup so far has required a lot more running around than OSX and has now included having to tweak the registry. Just a lot of little things that I expected to be improved by 2016 :)

8. Steve S

9. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Oh definitely, I agree that OS X is much more user-friendly and easier to configure than Windows. I was replying to the notion that OS X is a "walled garden" OS - it's as open as Windows if not moreso. Windows has so many layers of legacy cruft (registry, group policy, active directory, and on and on and on) that makes configuring it a nightmare. "Walled garden" usually refers to having to get everything approved through a central authority, which is definitely not the case in OS X nor Windows.

10. hipno515

hipno515 Pen Pal - Newbie

Totally different topic...having problems with latest win 10 update. Took so long to go through the welcome screen...then my zc wouldn't power off...had a mind of its own (HAL)...win 10 update in settings frozen! Finally, who knows how, was able to update the latest 3 windows updates??! Everything running smoothly again. And once more I can vouch this vaioZcanvas is a hellova tough portable workhorse!