VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone loaded linux onto this beast? :)

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback, as always. Minor update: It eventually happened again with the other power cord connected to the AC adapter, but that only meant it was definitely the wiring of my house -- ie a "noisy" outlet. I moved to a different room (probably connected to a different circuit) and it doesn't happen anymore. I'm just writing this to avoid misleading anyone who has a similar experience into thinking they'll remedy it by simply replacing the power cord.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I moved to a different room (probably connected to a different circuit) and it doesn't happen anymore...>>

Off topic, but I strongly advise you to have that wall socket checked. You're likely to find that AC high (aka "hot") and neutral are reversed at the socket and that, in turn, could result in a potential shock hazard, especially considering modern switching power supply designs (which no longer incorporate a transformer and its beneficial isolation function). In addition, some modern appliances may also exhibit a shock hazard if the socket is mis-wired...

neongolden likes this.
  4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Heads up! January 7 updates to power management and graphics drivers at Vaio's support page.

5. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

The power management update came out awhile back...but they updated the date for whatever reason. Hope the display driver solves the occasional intel display driver crash.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

6. Steve S

...In response to my question about the changed date on the Power Management software update, VAIO Support responded:

"The power plan management update that you have already installed has not changed. The reason the published date has changed is because we are doing some basic website maintenance. If there were to ever be a new driver or update to a driver we would make sure it is clearly mentioned with the version information and info about any changes that have been made to the program."

7. gexc

gexc Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed Gentoo on this machine using an Ubuntu live cd. Works much better than expected, compared to my previous tablet, the HP TM2.

Some problems:
    Wifi is not stable. Microcode SW error shows up in dmesg. Restarting networkmanager or reloading the iwlwifi, iwlmvm modules _often_ fixes this. A bit annoying though.

Bluetooth crashes when connected to the Logitech Anywhere 2 mouse by BT. BT keyboard works though.

By default (evdev) the upper button on the pen is mapped to middle click and the eraser does not work. Need to use xf86-input-wacom as driver and run xsetwacom to map the upper button to right click, and the eraser is functional in xf86-input-wacom.

If you are using xournal, set width_minimum_multiplier to larger or equal to 1.0 in the ~/.xournal/config or there will be a dot at the end of each stroke.

Dragging with touch does not work sometimes. Maybe it has something to do with multitouch.

The two buttons on top of the screen do not work.

The screen brightness sometimes (esp when idle for a long time or waking up from sleep) drops to zero (i.e. completely dark). Needs to use Fn+F6 to bring it back.

Haven't tried with the sensors and rotation.

Haven't figured out how to configure the trackpad. It works though, just missing the middle mouse button.

Heavy load such as long time compiling or numerical simulation will bring the cpu to over 90C before it throttles.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  8. Steve S

<<...Heads up! January 7 updates to...graphics drivers at Vaio's support page...>>

...Just an operational note: When I installed this update, there was no progress window displayed after the Windows permission screen; the ZC simply sat there for a couple of minutes and then finally the screen blinked once before an "installation successful" window was displayed. Pretty creepy, but follow-up verification confirmed that the driver was updated.

Also note that I did not uninstall the previous driver; the way the instructions are written, that point is somewhat confusing. When I restarted, a CMD window was briefly displayed with an "Assessing display performance" comment in it. After that, everything appears to be operating normally...

9. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

^
    Same here...
    Hasnt crashed since update...

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

10. theKM

theKM Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone know where to find the setting for reversing the touchpad scroll direction?... from everything I've seen on Win10, it's a driver based setting which appears to be totally absent. Ran some forum searches, didn't uncover anything.

(...and people wonder why OSX is held as the gold standard in managing settings :) )