VAIO Z Canvas slate 12.3" @ 3:2 w/ 95% RGB...yes!

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by Marty, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ota-con

ota-con Pen Pal - Newbie

I noticed this pen delay detection for the first time yesterday while using one note for a few hours...didn't have time to troubleshoot this issue though...

2. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sorry, I spoke too soon. The issue persists. It just seemed to take longer to happen, and I was drawing hastily a bit more before I had to go to work.

Since you guys posted in that you're having similar issues, it definitely sounds like an issue with the latest driver.

As a side-note, were we always able to use both pen and touch input the same time in CSP!? This whole issue was somewhat mitigated when I realized last week that, on the CZ, you can actually draw with one hand and dial menus with the other, and the palm rejection will be maintained. It's not perfect; there's only one cursor so you can't do anything ultra-fancy like change the color of your line stroke as you are making it, but it's still very convenient and helps reduce the number of times I bring the pen out of detection range (thereby reducing the number of times this minor glitch occurs).

Marty likes this.
  3. neongolden

Update: Disabling "hold to right click" for the pen seems to improve it but not fix it entirely.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  4. neongolden

Another update in my effort to discover the cause and mitigate it.

It seemed I actually made it worse by running an Intel driver update utility. I didn't realize until later that the ZC needs to use custom graphics drivers, etc. It was a huge stretch to think it would help with this anyways. I also installed a new build of Win10 that was offered via the updates and it didn't help.

I ended up doing a total system reset (the modern way of formatting, I guess) and now it seems I'm back to square one. There are still cursor tracking issues at times, but none of those unwanted hotkey activations that would occur for a few seconds into lowering the pen. Then again, I also disabled the pen buttons entirely this time, and for the foreseeable future. All that's been happening now is sometimes the cursor won't start moving in CSP until after I start drawing, then it tracks fine for the remainder of the session where the pen is in range.

tldr; I'm starting to think this could be a minor CSP bug in relation to Win10's new, more complex way of handling palm rejection. Perhaps someone else can weigh in. I won't have the time to explore this further for a while. I'd like to see if any of this happens in Corel Painter, but my 2016 trial may have already expired, and I'm really trying to just finish some things in CSP.

Honestly I think I'd prefer to go back to Win8.1's simpler way of doing it, but maybe I'll change my mind if I can develop more techniques to take advantage of Win10's allowance of touch input anywhere to the right side of the pen (or the left, if you are right-handed).

5. neongolden

As a total side note, I recommend you guys check out Raiden IV on your ZCs. Vertical shooters in general are quite a joy to play on these 3:2 tablets with adjustable stands. :D

Marty and tokr21 like this.
  6. neongolden

So, it's been roughly a month and a half, and I've continued to troubleshoot this mysterious problem on-and-off. I have a question I'm hoping a tech-savvy reader can answer, especially as it concerns pen tech of the Ntrig/pro-cap variety.

Could the fact that I plugged a 7Amp/125W cable, as opposed to a 2.5Amp/125w cable, into the VAIO AC adapter have had anything to do with it? Is that a serious mishap in general? I hadn't occurred to me that I would need to think about which cable I used, so long as it fit into the AC adapter.

I recently had one of the worst spasms of it yet. The device was nearly unusable. The cursor kept brushing against the right border of the screen, especially the bottom right corner, even when nothing was touching it. Pen input was practically gone, and touch input was badly crippled. Then, when I unplugged it and took it downstairs, about five minutes later it was working normally.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  7. neongolden

Yes, I think I finally discovered what was causing it. Not only have I not had this issue occur since last posting (while plugged into the same outlet), I'm think the AC adapter is not getting as hot under the same conditions.

I was probably using the wrong cord all through my Duo 13 days. I bought it refurbished and the supplier probably just threw in a cable they had on hand. I kept using it on the Canvas because it's longer than the one that's packed in.

I'm ok with potentially having reduced the lifespan of the AC adapter, but I hope this didn't do any damage to the Canvas in terms of accelerating its battery's degradation, etc.

Hope others can weigh in on this (and of course I'll update if starts happening again), but it looks like the moral of the story is check the cables even if they are compatible with the AC adapter. :(

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Could the fact that I plugged a 7Amp/125W cable, as opposed to a 2.5Amp/125w cable, into the VAIO AC adapter have had anything to do with it?..>>

...In order to make any sense out of this, you're going to need to start at the beginning and explain... clearly.... what you're talking about. You substituted a heavier AC cord between your AC wall outlet and the VAIO AC adapter? Did it have a three prong plug, and is your wall outlet properly grounded? The gauge of your AC cord (heavier versus lighter) is irrelevant as long as AC hot, AC neutral and ground are properly wired everywhere.

If your ZC works OK when it is not connected to the AC adapter, but misbehaves when it is, one possibility is that stray AC is leaking into the tablet. That, in turn, suggests either a faulty AC adapter or a wiring problem (either in your home or in your AC adapter set up)...

9. neongolden

Indeed, I substituted one three-prong plug for another (connected to the VAIO ZC-issued AC adapter, of course), and virtually all of the misbehaving pen/touch input that plagued me all night is gone as of right now, having painted in CSP for an hour or two. The only thing that seems to remain is an occasional delay before the device recognizes the pen is back in range. I think that could be a Win10 issue, but I haven't gone back to test it on the Duo13, having just recently upgraded it from 8.1.

So yeah, bizarre. Yet this really seems to have been the culprit, but I'll be sure to notify if it starts happening again. I also did some research since my post and your reply, and yes, the cord shouldn't have anything to do with it, but then again none of those discussions involved pen tablets - only desktops and generic laptops.

So, have any of you with an Ntrig device ever liberally swapped a lot of cords with your AC adapter and subsequently noticed your pen/touch input being affected?

10. czm2000

czm2000 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've absolutely had a similar problem before. I don't recall which device as it was a couple years ago and I switch out every 3-6 months (quicker if I'm not happy) but I specifically recall a generic A/C power adapter creating problems with my screen. I only recall it interfering with the touch input though. I can't recall if it affected the stylus performance. But I think after a day or two I realized it was only when I was plugged into that adapter. Once I stopped using it, the problem was solved.

I realize your issue is a little different, but I guess my point is it's without a doubt possible.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    neongolden likes this.